Celebrate the Constitution - Excelsior College
Page Hero - About Us
Constitution Day main
Excelsior College is proud to join educational institutions throughout the United States in honoring our great Constitution by celebrating the anniversary of its completion on September 17, 1787. The signing of this document marked the unification of 13 previously semi-independent states. It is this Constitution which preserves our freedoms and protects our rights; it also guides and supports Excelsior College's mission to provide educational opportunity. On September 17, we encourage our students and friends to join us in honoring this cornerstone of American democracy.
September 17 is Constitution Day
Little Known Facts About The Constitution
- Only 39 of the original 55 delegates signed the Constitution.
- Their average age was 42.
- George Mason, Edmund Randolph and Elbridge Gerry all refused to sign what they believed was a "flawed" document.
- The Constitution was written and signed in 1787, but it wasn't until 1788 that it was ratified by the necessary nine states.
- The first national "Thanksgiv