Academic Advisor, School of Nursing
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning, seeks applicants for the position of Academic Advisor in the School of Nursing.
Academic advisors work with our diverse population of Excelsior College degree candidates by mail, phone, email, fax, and through the Excelsior College portal regarding the College's flexible educational opportunities. Academic advising staff form the backbone of student services where the emphasis is placed upon providing accurate, timely, and quality service to enrolled students at a distance. The Academic Advisor evaluates transfer credit from other institutions for credit toward Excelsior College degree requirements. Excelsior academic advisors are committed to providing quality service by assimilating a large body of factual information and relating it to students in a caring, efficient, and consistent manner. Advising staff represent Excelsior College within the academic community. Expanded/flexible hours for phone assistance are occasionally required. Occasional travel is required.
Academic advisors report to the Dean of the School through the School's Assistant Dean.
Academic advisors are well versed in all College options, learning opportunities, and services, and direct inquiries to the most appropriate services.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Advisement by phone, letter, email, fax, portal, and personal interview:
- Advise students in the decision-making process regarding their consideration of educational goals by relating interests, skills, abilities, and values to careers, the world of work, and the nature and purpose of higher education.
- Advise students in developing an educational plan consistent with life goals and objectives.
- Advise students in alternative courses of action, alternate career considerations, and course selection.
- Provide accurate information about institutional policies, procedures, resources, and programs.
- Apprise students of various sources of credit and advise them in making appropriate selections (e.g., Excelsior College courses, Excelsior College® Examinations, Preferred Provider Catalog, other examinations, and Portfolio Assessment).
- Recommend Excelsior College Examinations and Excelsior College courses to students to complete degree requirements.
- Advocate for students by making referrals to Excelsior College services (e.g., Student Online Success Guide, Newly Enrolled Student Orientation, Online Tutoring, Excelsior Community, Excelsior College Library, Career Center, Financial Aid Office), and other educational support services (e.g., foreign credential evaluation service, military education network, public library) and providing supportive documentation as appropriate (e.g., letters of recommendation, transient student letters, and letters of good standing).
- Advise students in initial and continuing evaluation of progress toward established goals and educational plans.
- Provide official approval for students' proposed courses and examinations.
- Provide efficient and consistent tracking of student service/advisement by maximizing the use of College computer systems (i.e., Lotus Notes®, Preferred Provider Catalog, Student Information System, Course Search, Excelsior College website, and College Source Online).
- Facilitate online open house sessions and degree specific discussion/chat groups.
- Participate in annual commencement exercises.
- Evaluate documents and prepare the official degree audit (evaluation summary) for enrolled students and some prospective students (as need to assist admissions) within prescribed turnaround time.
- Research credit sources using both internal and external resources.
- Evaluate credit and classify course content according to current College policies and degree requirements.
- Communicate with students within prescribed turnaround time about the evaluation of credits presented.
- Serve as an advocate for student appeals (e.g., extra-institutional policy appeals).
- Work collaboratively with academic advisors from other degree programs and admissions counselors to resolve curricular issues.
- Work independently and interact effectively and cooperatively with team members and other College staff.
- Participate in professional development and training activities and may submit proposals and present papers at national and regional conferences.
- Maintain competency in use of technology required for the position.
- Actively participate in the training of new advising staff.
- Assist in the preparation/development of advisement and other College materials.
- Serve cooperatively on College committees and study groups.
- Participate in faculty meetings and follow-up activities as appropriate.
- Assist in the College's Needs Assessment preceding examination development.
- Provide information about students and their needs either individually or collectively to the institution, colleges, and/or academic departments, following FERPA policies.
- Work toward unit and College strategic planning goals for advisement services (e.g., retention interventions).
The advisor works in a team relationship with other advisors and support staff to assure quality. The academic advisor position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Excelsior policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities also include interviewing, training employees, planning, assigning and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Advisors interested in applying for a team leader position should refer to the Academic Advisor Team Leader position description.
Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution required; previous experience in higher education preferred.
Additional requirements include:
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and decision making skills
- Ability to:
- work with diverse populations
- manage multiple priorities and meet academic deadlines
- review/prepare accurate detailed documents
- master a wide body of factual knowledge (e.g., academic and career options) with a high degree of accuracy and detail
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Academic Advisor, School of Nursing Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.