Academic Advisor School of Business and Technology and School of Nursing
For over 40 years, Excelsior College has provided innovative and rigorous academic programs to adult learners. The College meets students where they are academically, geographically and technologically and assists them in reaching their goals by offering a range of academic offerings. Excelsior College is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and holds specialized accreditation from TAC of ABET and the Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formerly known as the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC). Over 1,200 part-time and full-time faculty and a staff of 500+ currently serves approximately 37,000 enrolled students worldwide. Due to continued growth in our programs and student population, Excelsior College is seeking to fill two academic advisor positions within the School of Business and Technology and the School of Nursing. This is a full-time position with benefits located in Albany, NY.
Academic advisors work with our diverse population of Excelsior College degree candidates by mail, phone, email, fax and through the Excelsior College portal regarding the College's flexible educational opportunities. The academic advisor evaluates transfer credit from other institutions for credit toward Excelsior College degree requirements. Excelsior College academic advisors are committed to providing quality service by assimilating a large body of factual information and relating it to students in a caring, efficient and consistent manner. Advising staff will represent Excelsior College within the academic community. Expanded/flexible hours for phone assistance are occasionally required. Occasional travel is required.
Academic advising staff form the backbone of student services where the emphasis is placed upon providing accurate, timely, and quality service to enrolled students at a distance. The academic advisor will be well versed in all College options, learning opportunities and services and will be able to direct inquiries for the most appropriate service.
Academic advisors report to the Dean of the School through the School's Assistant Dean.
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Advisement by phone, letter, email, fax, portal, and personal interview
- Advise students in their consideration of educational goals by relating interests, skills, abilities, and values to careers, the world of work, and the nature and purpose of higher education.
- Advise students in developing an educational plan consistent with life goals and objectives (alternative courses of action, alternate career considerations, and selection of courses).
- Advise students in the decision-making process regarding their educational goals.
- Provide accurate information about institutional policies, procedures, resources, and programs.
- Apprise students of various sources of credit and advise them in making appropriate selections (e.g., Excelsior College courses, UExcel® Examinations, Preferred Provider Catalog, examinations, and Portfolio Assessment).
- Recommend UExcel® Examinations and Excelsior College courses to students to complete degree requirements.
- Advocate for students by making referrals to Excelsior College services (e.g., Student Online Success Guide, Newly Enrolled Student Orientation, online tutoring, Excelsior College Library, career services, financial aid, and other educational support services (e.g., foreign credential evaluation service, military education network, public library).
- Provide supportive documentation as appropriate (e.g., letters of recommendation, transient student letters, and letters of good standing).
- Advise students in initial and continuing evaluation of progress toward established goals and educational plans.
- Provide official approval for students' proposed courses and examinations.
- Provide efficient and consistent tracking of student service/advisement by maximizing the use of computer system (i.e., Lotus Notes®, Student Information System, Course Search, Excelsior College website, and College Source Online).
- Facilitate online virtual open house sessions and degree specific discussion/chat groups.
- Participate in annual commencement exercises.
- Evaluate documents and prepare the official degree audit (evaluation summary) for enrolled students and some prospective students (as needed to assist admissions) within prescribed turnaround time.
- Research credit sources using both internal and external resources.
- Evaluate credit and classify course content according to current College policies and degree requirements.
- Communicate with students within prescribed turnaround time about the evaluation of credits presented.
- Serve as an advocate for student appeal (e.g., Extra-institutional policy appeals).
- Maintain competency in use of technology required for the position.
- Work collaboratively with academic advisors from other degree programs and admissions counselors to resolve curricular issues.
- Work independently, interact effectively, and cooperatively with team members and other College staff.
- Participate in professional development and training activities.
- May submit proposals and present papers at national and regional conferences.
- Actively participate in the training of new advising staff.
- Assist in the preparation/development of advisement and other College materials.
- Serve cooperatively on College committees and study groups.
- Participate in faculty meetings and follow-up activities as appropriate.
- Assist in the College's Needs Assessment preceding examination development.
- Provide information about students and their needs either individually or collectively to the institution, colleges, and/or academic departments, following FERPA policies.
- Work toward unit and College strategic planning goals for advisement services (e.g., retention interventions).
The advisor works in a team relationship with other advisors and support staff to assure quality. The academic advisor position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities also include interviewing, training employees, planning, assigning and directing work, addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Masters degree from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- Previous experience in higher education is preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Strong organizational and decision making skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet academic deadlines.
- Ability to review/prepare accurate detailed documents.
- Ability to master a wide body of factual knowledge (e.g., academic and career options) with a high degree of accuracy and detail.
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Academic Advisor Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.