Academic Clean Slate
Excelsior College strives to maintain academic integrity in our degree programs while still allowing flexibility for the adult population we serve. The academic Clean Slate gives the student the flexibility to start fresh when enrolling in his/her FIRST degree program with Excelsior College.
An academic "Clean Slate" means that a student who has never been enrolled in Excelsior College may have his or her Excelsior College grades removed from the My Academic Plan (MAP) and placed in the non-applicable section of the Excelsior College transcript. The non-applicable section appears below the credits applied toward the student's degree.
The Clean Slate policy applies to both successful and unsuccessful grades. Once the Clean Slate is applied to credits, they cannot be placed back in the applicable section of the transcript.
Students and advisors will work together to select the best credits to apply toward the student's degree program before the student matriculates. Students have 30 calendar days from the date of the first sign-off on their MAP to make any changes. Students for whom this is their first enrollment at Excelsior College may remove Excelsior College sources of credit.
In addition, a student that has been withdrawn for more than 5 years may appeal to Dean/Designee for a one-time only Clean Slate by Appeal. If students are granted a Clean Slate by Appeal, they cannot apply for another Clean Slate by Appeal at a later date.
- An advisor will refer to the Student Information System (SIS) status line to determine if the student is eligible for:
- Clean Slate: The student is enrolling in the College for the first time.
- Clean Slate Appeal: 5 years have passed since the student withdrew or graduated AND if the student has not had a Clean Slate by Appeal applied in the past.
- When a student is eligible for a Clean Slate, an academic advisor will flag Excelsior College credits that will not be applied toward the degree as N on SR and N for Approved and by putting "Clean Slate" in the student note. These credits will be placed in the non-applicable section of the Excelsior College transcript.
- Student may appeal in writing to the dean (or dean's designee) of the school the student is applying to for the Clean Slate by Appeal.
Note: As per Academic Probation policy for Undergraduate Degree and Certificate Students when an associate degree nursing student transfers to another school within Excelsior College, the initial evaluation for the new degree will include only associate degree nursing examinations posted on the student's evaluation. For examinations taken prior to July 1, 2013, associate degree nursing examination failures are not posted unless it is the final attempt. Final attempt is defined as the point after which the student is not eligible to repeat the examination. All nursing examination attempts on or after July 1, 2013 are posted to the student record regardless of the grade earned.