Academic Program Coordinator School of Public Service
| ||January 8, 2015|
|Closing Date:||February 8, 2015|
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning, seeks applicants for the position of Academic Program Coordinator to work within the School of Public Service (SPS).
Note: The term "adjunct faculty" throughout this document refers to faculty teaching online or "face to face" courses unless otherwise noted.
The Academic Program Coordinator will perform complex and widely varied duties related to the management and coordination of online and "face to face" courses. Independent judgment is required to select and apply the most appropriate of methods to solve problems. This position maintains internal contacts (all College schools and departments) and external contacts (course developers, subject matter experts, adjunct faculty, consultants, etc.) to discuss course related planning and issues. Requires the ability to extract, analyze, and present data on SPS programs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees the SPS contract process, including but not limited to issuing and tracking development and adjunct faculty teaching contracts.
- Reviews and recommends approval of faculty payment according to timetables established by Human Resources and Fiscal.
- Manages the SPS Undergraduate textbook process with the Center for Online Education, Learning, and Academic Services (COELAS) and the MBS Bookstore.
- Extracts, analyzes, and presents data on SPS programs.
- Maintains the SPS/COELAS Landing Strip.
- Coordinates course development and revision schedules with the SPS Leadership Team, Program Directors, COELAS, and the Registrar's Office.
- Coordinates and monitors requests and delivery of new and revised development shells between SPS and COELAS.
- Manages the scheduling of course editing requests by Program Directors.
- Monitors course development activities for compliance with Quality Matters™ guidelines.
- Fosters adjunct faculty compliance to Excelsior College performance standards by informing instructors of College policies and the Faculty Handbook.
- Manages responses to adjunct faculty needs for technical assistance falling outside the realm of OITS and COELAS.
- Coordinates staff communication with adjunct faculty prior to, throughout and ending with the posting of grades, including but not limited to term welcome letters, discussion board practices, end of term procedures, etc..
- Performs emergency maintenance to "live" online courses and various degrees of edits to course shells.
- Coordinates with COELAS and OITS to assure faculty gain access to their courses prior to the beginning of every term in compliance with CDRIT guidelines.
- Works closely with the Registrar's Office to coordinate term course schedules, seat counts, instructor assignments, and final course grades.
- Coordinates communications between instructors, Academic Advisors, the Ombudsperson, OITS, and COELAS when necessary, concerning student absentee problems, incomplete grades, etc..
External and Internal Communication
- Maintains good working communication with adjunct faculty, course developers, potential faculty, and subject matter experts.
- Triages student course issues with the Associate Dean.
- Maintains and promotes an open line of communication among all Excelsior Schools, Departments and their staff, (especially with OITS, COELAS, Registrar Office, etc.).
This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the College's policies and applicable laws.
This position may require limited local and national travel.
- A master's degree from a regionally accredited institution and a minimum of two years of course management experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- Ability to
- work independently and as a team member.
- lead staff and other constituents.
- work under strict timelines and pressure.
- work flexible hours as needed.
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Proficient use of computer based applications (BlackBoard®, DreamWeaver® and Microsoft® Office Suite).
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Note: Screening for this position will start immediately and will remain open thirty days from date of posting.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at www.excelsior.edu/ecresumesubmission, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Academic Program Coordinator Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population