Academic Program Coordinator, School of Public Service
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning, seeks applicants for the position of Academic Program Coordinator to work within the School of Public Service.
The Academic Program Coordinator will perform complex and widely varied duties related to the management and coordination of online and "face to face" courses. Independent judgment is required to select and apply the most appropriate of methods to solve problems. The Coordinator maintains internal contacts (all College schools and departments) and external contacts (course developers, subject matter experts, adjunct faculty, consultants, etc.) to discuss course related planning and issues. This position requires the ability to extract, analyze, and present data on School of Public Service (SPS) programs.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversee the SPS contract process, including but not limited to issuing and tracking development and adjunct teaching contracts.
- Review and recommend approval of faculty payment according to timetables established by Human Resources and Fiscal offices.
- Manage the SPS undergraduate textbook process with Excelsior's Center for Online Education, Learning and Academic Services (COELAS) and the MBS Bookstore.
- Extract, analyze, and present data on SPS programs.
- Maintain the SPS/COELAS Landing Strip.
- Coordinate course development and revision schedules with the SPS Leadership Team, Program Directors, COELAS, and the Registrar's Office.
- Coordinate and monitor requests for, and delivery of, new and revised development shells between SPS and COELAS.
- Manage the scheduling of course editing requests by Program Directors.
- Monitor course development activities for compliance with Quality Matters guidelines.
- Foster adjunct faculty compliance to Excelsior performance standards by informing instructors of College policies and the Faculty Handbook.
- Manage responses to adjunct faculty needs for technical assistance falling outside the realm of Excelsior's Office of Information and Technology Services (OITS) and COELAS.
- Coordinate staff communication with adjunct faculty prior to, throughout, and ending with the posting of grades, including but not limited to term welcome letters, discussion board practices, end of term procedures, etc.
- Perform emergency maintenance to live online courses and various degrees of edits to course shells.
- Coordinate with COELAS and OITS to assure faculty gain access to their courses prior to the beginning of every term in compliance with published guidelines.
- Work closely with the Registrar's Office to coordinate term course schedules, seat counts, instructor assignments, and final course grades.
- Coordinate communication between instructors, academic advisors, the Ombudsperson, OITS, and COELAS when necessary, concerning student absentee problems, "I" grades, etc.
External and Internal Communication:
- Maintain good working communication with adjunct faculty, course developers, potential faculty, and subject matter experts.
- Triage student course issues with the Associate Dean.
- Maintain and promote an open line of communication among Excelsior schools, departments, and their staff.
This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities also include interviewing; training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to lead staff and other constituents
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Proficient use of software applications (e.g. Blackboard®, Dreamweaver®, and Microsoft® Office)
- Ability to work under pressure and strict timelines
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed
Education and Experience
A master's degree from a regionally accredited institution and a minimum of 2 years of course management experience and/or training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
This position may require limited local and national travel.
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
The candidate selection process will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at www.excelsior.edu/ecresumesubmission, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Academic Program Coordinator, School of Public Service Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.