Associate Dean - School of Liberal Arts
Excelsior College is a private, not-for-profit, regionally accredited distance education institution with 30,000 students. Approximately 8,500 of those students are in our School of Liberal Arts (SLA) pursuing undergraduate degrees in fields like Psychology, History, and Biology, or graduate degrees in our Master of Liberal Studies program. We seek experienced, motivated applicants for the position of Associate Dean - School of Liberal Arts, one of two associate deans in the school. This is a full-time position with benefits located in Albany, NY.
This position holds faculty status without rank or tenure. The Associate Dean performs complex duties related to the administration of academic programs and operations in the School of Liberal Arts, which includes the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Provide academic leadership for the graduate and undergraduate Liberal Arts programs in cooperation with the Faculty and Dean.
- Lead the faculty and staff in carrying out the mission and achieving the goals of the School of Liberal Arts.
- Work collaboratively with unit managers, other Deans, and staff throughout the College, as well as community members and leaders.
- Participate in development of academic policies and represent degree programs on academic committees.
- Interpret academic and employment trends for upper level administration.
- Monitor the curricula and recommend policies in conjunction with the faculty and Dean.
- Oversee the academic quality and integrity of the degree programs and recommend appropriate changes, as necessary.
- Explore new options for meeting degree requirements.
- Identify opportunities for growth of the School of Liberal Arts, including the development of new courses, programs, and other initiatives.
- Conduct ongoing program development, evaluation, and outcomes assessment activities; utilize results for continuous improvement of curriculum, policies, procedures, and processes associated with the School.
- Assist the Dean in all activities pertaining to registration and accreditation of Liberal Arts degree programs.
- Provide leadership for maintaining the excellence and integrity of various degree programs through research and evaluation.
- Represent Excelsior College at appropriate academic conferences, professional meetings, and community activities.
- Seek external funding to support new academic and research initiatives.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and quality of Liberal Arts online course offerings.
Provide administrative/managerial direction for the operations of Liberal Arts Degree Programs.
- Supervise program faculty, including full-time program directors and part-time teaching faculty.
- Supervise program staff and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Participate in institution-wide strategic planning and the annual budgetary process.
- Provide leadership to staff in delivering quality service to students.
- Coordinate activities of the degree programs with other College units.
- Serve as a member of College-wide committees as appointed.
Assist in Outreach and Promotion with the Enrollment Management Unit.
- Be a spokesperson for presenting the School's Liberal Arts programs, and developing new corporate and academic partners.
- Assist in the development and implementation of marketing plans for promotion of the degree programs.
- Assist in identifying new markets and develop collaborative relationships with outside entities.
Occasional overnight travel is required.
- PhD in one of the arts and science disciplines (or higher education administration).
- Online teaching experience.
- Academic supervisory experience is strongly preferred.
- Disciplinary expertise.
- Highly effective organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically about marketing of academic programs.
- Commitment to non-traditional higher education for adults.
- Ability to supervise a diverse workforce.
- Ability to represent Excelsior College within the academic community.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with all levels of professional and support staff.
- High level of computer literacy skills.
- Familiarity with online learning platforms and best practices in distance education and outcomes assessment.
The Associate Dean reports to the Dean of the School of Liberal Arts, supervises program, professional and support staff, and coordinates the activities of faculty.
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
The candidate selection process will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at www.excelsior.edu/ecresumesubmission, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Associate Dean - School of Liberal Arts Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.