Associate Dean, School of Public Service
Excelsior College seeks a dynamic and visionary leader for the position of Associate Dean, School of Public Service. Excelsior College, a non-profit pioneer in distance education, offers a highly innovative higher education model that meets the needs of today's adult learners. The College's work environment values results, teamwork, innovation, and diversity. The School of Public Service opened in the fall of 2013, and houses the College's graduate and undergraduate Criminal Justice Program and the Military Studies Degree.
The Associate Dean oversees academic programs and operations in the School of Public Service (SPS), including but not limited to military studies, public administration, graduate and undergraduate criminal justice. The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean of the School of Public Service. This position holds faculty status without rank or tenure. Occasional overnight travel is required.
- Supervise program faculty, including full-time program directors and part-time teaching faculty.
- Supervise program staff and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Collaborate in the development of program marketing plans.
- Identify opportunities for growth of the SPS, including the development of new courses, programs, and other initiatives.
- Ensure the quality and integrity of academic programs.
- Lead and conduct ongoing program development, evaluation, and outcomes assessment activities and utilize results for continuous improvement of curriculum, policies, procedures, and processes associated with the School.
- Serve on various school and College committees as appropriate.
- Represent the College at associated professional meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean.
- An Earned Doctorate or PhD in one of the public services, or arts and sciences disciplines (or higher education administration) from a regionally accredited United States institution or an equivalent, nationally recognized foreign institution of higher learning is required.
- Five years of professional experience are also required, including two in a supervisory role.
- Must have online teaching experience.
- The Associate Dean should demonstrate disciplinary expertise:
- Highly effective organizational and communication skills
- The ability to think strategically about the marketing of academic programs
- A commitment to non-traditional higher education for adults
- The ability to supervise a diverse workforce
- The ability to represent Excelsior College within the academic community
- The ability to work independently and in collaboration with all levels of professional and support staff
- A high level of computer literacy skills
- Familiarity with online learning platforms, best practices in distance education, and outcomes assessment
The Associate Dean reports to the Dean of the School of Public Service, supervises program, professional, and support staff, and coordinates the activities of faculty.
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Associate Dean, School of Public Service Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.
Open Positions at Excelsior College