Excelsior College is seeking candidates for the position of Controller. Excelsior College is a leader in the field of alternative higher education. A staff of 480+ currently serves approximately 32,000 enrolled students worldwide.
The Controller is responsible for:
- Both internal and external financial reporting.
- Preparation of financial reports.
- Projections of financial results.
- Review and maintenance of internal controls.
- Establishment and execution of financial policies and procedures.
- Cash management.
- Compliance with grant conditions.
- Compliance with government regulations including federal financial assistance.
- Oversight of all audits and the external auditing firm.
- Compliance with federal and state tax laws as well as federal and state reporting requirements.
These positions report directly and indirectly to the Controller: senior accountant and three staff accountants.
This is a full-time position with benefits based in Albany, NY.
- Administer the month end and year end close of the accounting records of the College insuring that all proper accruals and end of period adjustments have been accurately recorded.
- Prepare monthly financial statements of the College and prepare the description of financial results for the College President to send to the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare other financial reports as requested by constituent groups at the College.
- Supervise the preparation for the year end audit of the financial records of the College by independent professional accountants.
- Prepare draft financial statements for the College and prepare all audit schedules.
- Manage the preparation for the annual audit of the Excelsior College Retirement Program and the A133 Audit of Federal Programs including the preparation of all appropriate financial schedules and reports.
- Review and administer cash management policies, refund policies, and collection activities relative to Title IV financial aid.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field from a regionally accredited institution and at least five years experience in a professional accounting position or in the financial administration of a complex organization is required.
- Master's degree and not-for-profit accounting experience preferred, but not required.
- Licensure as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills and superb quantitative abilities.
- Experience with integrated accounting systems and use of the information from such systems to generate financial reports is highly desirable.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.