Excelsior College Federal Financial Aid - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Tuition and Aid
Federal Financial Aid main
Federal Financial Aid
Federal financial aid falls into two categories:
- Federal Grants (based on financial need with no repayment, e.g. Pell Grant)
- Federal Loans (Title IV)
Eligibility for federal financial aid
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible program of study at Excelsior College. Students completing their degrees solely by exam are not eligible for federal aid.
- Must maintain half time student status (6 credits for undergraduate and 3 credits for graduate)
- Must be pursuing a degree or approved certificate
- Must be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Must be registered with Selective Service (if male and required)
- May not have eligibility suspended or terminated due to being convicted of a drug-related offense
- Must have a valid Social Security Number
- May not be in default on a federal student loan - more information can be found here
- Must not owe an overpayment of federal grant or loan funds
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in the Excelsior's Student Policy Handbook
Applying for federal financial aid
To apply for financial aid, follow these steps.
For the 2017-18 academic year:
- You may file a 2017-18 FAFSA now. The earlier submission date is a permanent change, enabling you to complete and submit a FAFSA as early at Oct. 1 every year.
- Beginning with the 2017-18 FAFSA, you must report income information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2017-18 FAFSA, students (and parents, as appropriate) must report their 2015 income information rather than their 2016 income information.
FAFSA year you should file as an Excelsior College student:
If a term start date falls within this timeframe
Use these corresponding Excelsior College Terms
To submit this FAFSA
Using income and tax information from
August 21, 2017 –
Not currently open
August 28, 2018 –
Not currently open
Federal Aid Book Voucher
To receive a Federal Aid Book voucher you must complete the Book Voucher Request Form each trimester. The book voucher can only be used towards books that are required for the course(s) you are registered in.
- You need to have accepted enough federal financial aid to cover the cost of