Page Hero - Tuition and Aid

Tuition and Aid

Navigation Menu

NY State Financial Aid header

New York State Financial Aid

Several programs are available to New York State residents who are earning credit from a New York State-based school. You must have been a resident for at least 12 months prior to the award year to be eligible for New York State financial aid.

Students must be enrolled in a degree program no later than January 15 to be reviewed for the spring term, or no later than July 15 to be reviewed for the fall term.


Aid to Part-time Students (APTS)

Who is eligible: New York State residents enrolled in an Excelsior College degree program and taking three to eleven credits through New York State institutions.

Maximum award: $1,000 per term or the cost of tuition, whichever is less. APTS can not be applied to costs other than tuition.

How to apply: Fax your completed APTS application, a copy of your latest New York State tax return, a copy of your high school diploma or GED (and official transcripts for transfer students) to the Excelsior College financial aid office at 518-464-8660.

Students must notify the Financial Aid Office of their interest in APTS no later than November 1 for the Fall term, or no later than May 1 for the Spring term.

Vietnam Veterans Tuition Assistance (VVTA) and Persian Gulf Veterans Tuition Assistance (PGVTA)

Who is eligible: 

  • VVTA: Students must reside in New York State and must meet specific criteria including having served in the U.S. armed forces in Indochina between December 22, 1961, and May 7, 1975.
  • PGVTA: Students must reside in New York State and meet certain specific criteria. This includes having served in the hostilities that occurred in the Persian Gulf from August 2, 1990, to the end of such hostilities as evidenced by receipt of the Southwest Asia Service Medal, which was awarded from August 2, 1990, to November 30, 1995.

Recipients for both programs must have been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

Costs covered: These awards fund tuition only, for either part-time or full-time study. VVTA and PGVTA are grant programs, and awards do not have to be repaid.

To receive funds: VVTA and PGVTA monies are awarded at the end of the term. Official transcripts must be received before awards will be certified.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Part-time Tuition Assistance Program


Who is eligible: TAP is for New York State residents with a full-time credit load, defined as successfully completing at least 12 credits per term, and who satisfy TAP financial need criteria. To be eligible for TAP, you must:

  • Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen.
  • Be a legal resident of New York State for at least one year prior to the start of the term.
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department.
  • Study at an approved postsecondary institution in New York State (NYS).
  • Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing with at least a "C" average as of the 4th semester payment.
  • Be enrolled as a full-time student taking 12 or more credits applicable toward your