Course Development Specialist
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning, seeks applicants for the position of Course Development Specialist.
The Course Development Specialist will perform diversified informational functions within the framework of developing and maintaining active course content and related files or multimedia, contributing to the implementation of College-wide initiatives, and strengthening the relationship between the Center for Online Education, Learning and Academic Services (COELAS) with other academic areas and campus-wide course participants. The position requires an ability to learn and apply established policies and practices as well as be a problem-solver when new situations arise. Productive organizational skills and flexible interpersonal communication skills are required to ensure that specialized projects and the daily work flow are organized, prioritized, and accurately completed within prescribed timeframes.
The Course Development Specialist will demonstrate proficient knowledge of computer applications to assist with online course development and maintenance. The position requires independent judgment and the ability to perform exacting tasks in a timely manner.
- Provide high-quality programming support in the design, development, and revision of online courses using Excelsior College's learning management system (LMS).
- Transfer and assemble academic content within the LMS.
- Inspect, convert, and finalize academic course content into compatible electronic formats such as HTML and Flash®.
- On-going maintenance and term preparation for all active online and CD-ROM courses in the course library.
- Collaborate with instructional designers and academic units to support:
- Online course development environments
- Course content simulation
- Multimedia design
- Quality Matters standards
- Use project management software to prioritize, manage, and accurately complete tasks within prescribed timeframes.
- Contribute to the implementation of College-wide initiatives as they apply to online courses.
- Provide technical support to students, faculty, academic units, and the Office of Information and Technology Services in all areas of the LMS, CD-ROMs, and course development components
- Use COELAS Remedy System to manage and prioritize support requests related to online course issues, updates, and enhancements.
Multimedia/Emerging Technologies for Course Development
- Demonstrate technical knowledge in the following areas:
- Learning Management Systems
- Video and image editing
- Flash-based and CD-ROM content presentation software
- Web 2.0 tools
- Participate in the unit-wide multimedia initiative and collaborate with team members to create a multimedia showcase library to be used in the course development process.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred or an associate degree with equivalent experience and near term completion of bachelor's degree.
- 1-3 years plus experience in one or more of the following:
- Information systems
- Online education
- Information technology
- Curriculum and instruction
- Related field
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities necessary to successfully perform the essential duties of Course Development Specialist. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn additional computer application software.
- Familiarity with applications such as:
- Lotus Notes®
- Blackboard® learning management system
- Microsoft® Office Suite
- Internet Explorer®
- Google Chrome™
- Mozilla Firefox®
- Knowledge of HTML or other programming languages preferred.
- Understanding of online education, pedagogy, and best practices.
- Knowledge of instructional design principles.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail is critical.
- Ability to ask for and offer help when needed.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Generate suggestions for improving work processes.
- Utilize flexible interpersonal communication skills to provide quality staff service.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment.
- Ability to adapt to changing policies and procedures.
- Work flexible hours, as needed.
- Work with diverse groups from all organizational levels.
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Course Development Specialist Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.
Open Positions at Excelsior College