Statement of Policy
Excelsior College recognizes that students may encounter extraordinary circumstances that make it difficult to complete coursework within the timeframe of a course term. Students are eligible to request a course extension if they have successfully completed a minimum of 50% of the coursework and request the extension no less than 7 calendar days before the end of the course term.
Extensions for an 8-week course should not exceed 30 calendar days from the end of the term.
Extensions for a 15-week course should not exceed 60 calendar days from the end of the term.
Course extensions and their duration are at the discretion of the instructor.
Extensions will not be granted for INL*102 Information Literacy.
Students with a grade of Incomplete "I" in any courses will not be permitted to graduate until a final letter grade has been received.
Students requesting an extension for a military deployment should refer to the Military Deployment policy.
- Must meet eligibility requirements outlined above.
- Students must request a course extension from the instructor through My Messages within the course.
- If requested, students must provide documentation to support the extraordinary circumstances.
- If an extension is granted, it is the student's responsibility to complete all coursework prior to the end date of the course extension or in accordance with due dates outlined by the instructor. Late penalties may apply.
- Upon receipt of a course extension request, instructors will evaluate the circumstances to determine if an extension is warranted.
- If an extension is granted, the instructor must email email@example.com with the following information:
- Course number and title
- Course term
- Name of student
- End date of extension
- The end date should not exceed the limits set for 8 and 15-week courses.
- Once the extension has expired, instructors must submit the final grade to firstname.lastname@example.org within 5 calendar days.
- It is strongly advised that instructors set a schedule for submission of missing work throughout the extension. Late penalties may apply if due dates are not met.
Office of Registration and Records
- Once notified by an instructor of a course extension, the Course Registration team will enter a grade of "I" in the student's record and confirm by email to instructor that the request was received and processed.
- The end date of the extension will be entered into the Student Information System.