Dean, School of Public Service
Excelsior College seeks a dynamic, visionary, and creative leader for the position of Dean, School of Public Service (SPS). Excelsior College, a non-profit pioneer in distance education, offers a highly innovative higher education model that meets the needs of today's adult learners. The College's work environment values results, teamwork, innovation, and diversity.
The School of Public Service opened in the fall of 2013, and houses the College's graduate and undergraduate Criminal Justice Program and Military Studies Degree. Plans are in place to create a Master in Public Administration program within the first year. The Dean position is a full-time, 12 month administrative position with competitive compensation located in Albany, New York.
The Dean is the chief administrative and academic officer for SPS. The Dean represents the SPS on all College-wide committees and to external constituents, and chairs the School of Public Service Faculty Committee. In consultation with the faculty and Provost/Chief Academic Officer, the Dean oversees the academic quality and integrity of degrees, monitors and updates the curriculum, and recommends policy changes as necessary. The Dean is responsible for the recruitment, retention, and satisfaction of qualified and diverse full-time and adjunct faculty and staff. The Dean oversees academic advisement to assure student satisfaction and success. As Dean of the College's newest school, the SPS Dean is also responsible for developing and implementing a plan for the growth and financial stability of the School.
- Lead the faculty and staff in carrying out the mission and goals of the College and the School of Public Service.
- Coordinate activities of the faculty and the staff relating to policy development, course creation, teaching, and program expansion.
- Collaborate with College leadership, other Deans and staff throughout the College to develop academic programs and services.
- Serve as the chief planning officer for the School of Public Service, participating in College-wide and School specific strategic planning and the annual budgetary process.
- Manage the human resource and fiscal affairs of the School of Public Service.
- Maintain the excellence and integrity of the School's degrees and the institutional programs and faculty that support them through research and evaluation.
- Assist in identifying new markets and the development and implementation of marketing programs for promotion of the degree programs.
- Participate in the development of academic policies and represent the School of Public Service on academic committees.
- Maintain productive relationships with state and national regulatory bodies and associations that govern or influence the development and delivery of programs.
- Work with and coordinate a wide spectrum of public service leaders called upon to keep the academic programs current and effective.
- Assure the assessment of student learning outcomes in all School of Public Service degrees and certificate programs.
- Coordinate, in conjunction with other units in the College, the development and support of Excelsior College examinations in the area of public service.
- Direct the development and delivery of distance education courses and other credit bearing programs in collaboration with the Associate/Assistant Deans, Program Directors, Center for Online Education, Learning and Academic Services, and the Office of Information Technology Services.
- Direct activities to achieve exacting standards in the curricula and excellence in the operations of the programs.
- Monitor and evaluate the curricula and recommend policies related to admission and program requirements.
- Oversee the academic quality and integrity of the degree programs and recommend appropriate changes as necessary.
As a new school:
- Develop and maintain a business plan outlining new program development for the School of Public Service.
- Oversee development of new academic programs to support the continued growth and financial stability of the School of Public Service.
- Collaborate with the Office of Institutional Advancement on the development of grant proposals to support new initiatives within the School of Public Service.
Student Success and Satisfaction
- Provide leadership to staff in proactively delivering quality service to students, including resolving student related concerns.
- Set performance targets for student retention and develop and evaluate initiatives.
- Serve as chief innovator of advising services, fostering and encouraging academic planning, intellectual growth, and critical reflection.
- Serve as advocate for student access and learning.
Faculty and Staff Satisfaction
- Assist faculty and staff in meeting institutional performance standards for student satisfaction.
- Oversee the recruitment, retention, and satisfaction of qualified and diverse full-time and adjunct faculty and staff.
- Encourage staff growth and change through educational and professional development.
- Empower the faculty and staff so that they are an essential part of the success of the College.
- Provide communication and recognition systems that result in a high level of retention, morale, and productivity.
Overnight travel is required.
- Earned doctorate from a regionally accredited college; graduate or undergraduate degree in an area supportive of public service programs (i.e. criminal justice, public administration, public policy, etc.).
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in managing varying perspectives and fostering intellectual debate.
- Ability to promote consensus and implement decisions.
- A minimum of five years of progressive experience as a high level academic leader at a regionally accredited institution of higher education, preferably at the level of Department Chair, Assistant Dean or higher.
- Distinguished record of teaching and scholarship.
- Experience in a nontraditional academic environment working with adults and/or students studying at a distance.
- An understanding of and ability to apply the precepts of adult learning.
- Experience in outcomes assessment as applied to higher education settings.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in curriculum and course development and evaluation.
- Experience in budget development and management.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with diverse constituencies and staff.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Dean, School of Public Service Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.