Director of Faculty Development
| ||January 8, 2015|
|Closing Date:||February 8, 2015|
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning, seeks applicants for the Director of Faculty Development.
The Director of Faculty Development supports the vision of Excelsior College to be recognized as a leader in the development and delivery of best-in-class methods for virtual teaching, learning, and academic assessment. This position fosters a culture of collaboration across all units of the College to strengthen the institutional infrastructure for development and support of all faculty and to cultivate a culture of scholarship that supports regional and specialized accreditation and reflects interdisciplinary practice.
- Manage a robust, multi-faceted professional development program that focuses on faculty by supporting teaching and learning and addressing changes in student populations served.
- Conduct comprehensive assessments of the development and support needs of faculty across all Schools.
- Disseminate assessment findings.
- Collaborate with faculty and administration to identify priorities.
- Develop multiphase operational plans to guide faculty development activities and institutional changes in policies, procedures and practices.
- Work closely with faculty program directors across the College to understand their priorities for faculty development.
- Support faculty orientation and socialization including major and minor course revisions for the faculty orientations (online teaching and learning management system) for faculty teaching Excelsior College courses.
- Align activities with the College's strategic plan and annual institutional goals.
- Measure the results of programs and services offered.
- Stay abreast of emerging trends in teaching and learning by reviewing the academic literature and networking with peers and advocating for effective high impact teaching practices that maximize student learning.
- Conduct an annual faculty satisfaction survey in collaboration with the Office of Strategy and Institutional Effectiveness.
- Support academic deans, faculty program directors, and human resources staff in efforts for onboarding and retaining highly effective instructional faculty members.
- Oversee faculty recognition initiatives including opportunities for faculty to engage in scholarly activities.
- Collaborate with the Director of Student Success and Academic and Learning Support Services staff to cultivate connections between faculty and academic advisors on student persistence/retention strategies.
- Promote diversity and inclusion of underrepresented groups in faculty development initiatives.
- Create opportunities for faculty to network and exchange ideas with colleagues on issues central to excellence in teaching and learning at Excelsior.
- Manage a communication plan for faculty to network using the Excelsior portal, the Faculty Resource Center, the Center for Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Assessment (CETLA) including serving as chair of the Faculty Newsletter Committee.
- Serve as a liaison to administrative units on issues related to faculty support and administrative services.
- Facilitate the faculty program director career progression process.
- Represent the College at appropriate venues outside the campus.
- Serve on appropriate College-wide committees.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of
- a doctorate in education, faculty development, or related field.
- five years experience employed in a higher education environment.
- three years experience in online teaching.
- Extensive experience in identifying needs, developing and delivering professional development initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a college-level vision that supports continuous improvement in teaching and learning excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus and lead teams in order to achieve desired outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, organizational, presentation, and written communication skills.
- Experience with training and development best practices in online course design and delivery for adult learners.
- Experience in the development and implementation of needs assessments, strategic planning, and program evaluation methodology.
- Ability to manage complex tasks/projects in a timely manner with a high degree of quality and to mobilize relationships and resources in a collaborative, collegial manner.
- Experience with Quality Matters™ course design standards preferred.
- Knowledge of BlackBoard® Learning Management System, Adobe® Connect™ Pro, various learning technologies, and online meeting tools.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, creative energy, and sense of humor.
The Director of Faculty Development reports to the Associate Provost of Student and Faculty Services.
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Note: Screening for this position will start immediately and will remain open thirty days from date of posting.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information at www.excelsior.edu/ecresumesubmission, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Director of Faculty Development Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.