Enrollment and Matriculation
Statement of Policy
An undergraduate student becomes enrolled in Excelsior College when the student submits a completed enrollment form with the required fee.
An Undergraduate student is matriculated in a degree program at the time the initial evaluation is completed. If the student agrees with the initial evaluation and does not wish to make changes, no further action is required.
Students need to contact their advising team to discuss any changes they want to make within 30 days of matriculation.
Some undergraduate degree programs have special admission criteria for enrollment.
Students taking undergraduate Excelsior College courses and selected Excelsior College® Examinations are not required to be enrolled in an Excelsior College degree program. They are considered non-matriculated.
Excelsior College requires that applicants to any graduate program have earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or the foreign equivalent. A graduate student who has submitted an application is in a pending applicant status. The student's application materials are reviewed by the respective graduate office. A decision is made to accept or deny admission into the graduate program.
- If accepted, the student status is changed to admitted.
- If denied, the student status is changed to admission denied.
When accepted and admitted all graduate students must return the Graduate Degrees Enrollment and Payment form, along with the Graduate Student Fee. Once the fee is paid, the student's status becomes enrolled and matriculated.
Students taking graduate Excelsior College courses are not required to be enrolled or matriculated; however, there may be limitations on the number of courses that can be taken before enrollment or matriculation. See individual schools for specific information.
Provisional Admission (Graduate Students Only)
Graduate students may be provisionally admitted. A provisional student is one who does not meet the usual criteria for admission, and is admitted to a graduate program or graduate certificate by the appropriate Admissions Committee on a temporary basis. By the end of the provisional period, in order to continue and enroll in the program, the student must meet all appropriate admission requirements.
Undergraduate Certificate Programs
- An undergraduate certificate student is matriculated and enrolled into Excelsior College when the student has been accepted into the certificate program.
- Once the certificate program is completed the student status is changed to complete.
- A student can be enrolled in an undergraduate certificate and undergraduate degree program simultaneously.
Graduate Certificate Programs
- A graduate certificate student is matriculated and enrolled into Excelsior College when the student has been accepted into the certificate program.
- Once the certificate program is completed, the student status is changed to complete.
- A student can be enrolled in a graduate certificate and graduate degree program simultaneously.