Excelsior College® Examinations & UExcel® Exam Refunds & Extensions
Statement of Policy
Students have the right to request refunds or extensions for Excelsior College Examinations and UExcel Exams as outlined within the Exam Registration and Information: A User's Guide (PDF) and UExcel Registration Guide.
Fifty percent refunds are available when examinations are cancelled in a timely manner and requested within the six-month eligibility window date as indicated in the Authorization To Test (ATT) letter. The criteria for cancelling an examination in a timely manner are as follows:
- Students must cancel a scheduled examination appointment with Pearson VUE before requesting a refund. Students may go to the Pearson VUE Web site or contact the Pearson VUE Call Center at 888-926-9488 to cancel. Advance notice requirements vary between the Web site and Call Center as follows:
- Any student who cancels an exam appointment through the Pearson VUE Web scheduler must do so by 7:00 pm Central Time at least one business day (a minimum of 24 hours) in advance of their scheduled appointment time.
- Any student who cancels an exam appointment via the Pearson VUE Candidate Call Center must do so at least 7 calendar days before the date of the exam appointment. A Call Center fee may apply to the cancellation.
- After a student cancels an exam, the student must contact Excelsior College in writing. The request may be made online through their MyExcelsior message center or by signed letter setting forth the student's name, last four digits of their Social Security number, or Excelsior College student identification number, and the title of the exam being canceled. This will complete the process for a partial examination fee refund. The student's online or written cancellation request must be postmarked no later than 7 calendar days after the last day in their test eligibility window as indicated in the Authorization To Test (ATT) letter.
- A student who has cancelled an exam(s) will not be permitted to place money on account, in lieu of a 50% refund within the six-month eligibility time frame.
- Examination candidates will not be allowed to switch exams after the end of their six-month eligibility window.
- Examination candidates who are registered for an exam that the student no longer needs to meet their degree requirement may request a 100% refund, request to switch exams provided that the student's Excelsior College academic advisor verifies that the student no longer needs the exam to meet the student's degree requirements, or request to have 100% of the exam fee used toward another administrative fee owed.
Exceptions to Excelsior College examination refund policy (no refund given):
- If a student does not take the examination for which they are registered during the student's six-month test window or if the student does not cancel or reschedule their exam per appropriate policy prior to their scheduled appointment time at the Pearson VUE Testing Center, or if the student does not request a 50% refund as outlined above, the student's entire examination fee will be forfeited.
- If an examination was cancelled and the student requests a refund more than 7 days after the eligibility expiration date, the money will not be refunded to the student.
- No examination fee refund will be granted to a student found to have violated Excelsior's Student Rights and Responsibilities or Academic Honesty policies.
No refunds will be processed for ECE practice exams except in extenuating circumstances such as:
- Technical problems attributed to Excelsior College
- Student no longer needs to take corresponding credit-bearing exam (student must not have utilized the practice exam)
Requests should be received through the student's MyExcelsior message center or via fax addressed to Test Administration at 518-464-8777 for review and appropriate decision.
If a student decides not to take a UExcel exam for which they are registered and wish to receive a refund, the student will need to cancel the examination appointment at least 3 business days (a minimum of 72 hours) in advance of the scheduled appointment time. Students can cancel through the UExcel Web site, or by contacting a UExcel call center representative at 888-224-6383 (in the Americas); 6038319-1-85 (in the Asia Pacific Region); or 441161835-7455 (in Europe, Middle East, and Africa). Either of these actions will automatically apply a credit (minus a $15 cancellation fee) to the credit card used to register for the exam.
Note: If the student fails to arrive for their appointment, or fails to reschedule or cancel without giving 3 business days' notice (a minimum of 72 hours prior to the scheduled test time), the student will forfeit the examination fee and be required to register and pay the examination fee again.
Examination candidates, who are registered for a UExcel exam that they no longer need to meet their degree requirement, may request a refund as outlined in the above paragraph.
No refunds will be processed for UExcel practice exams except in extenuating circumstances such as technical problems attributed to the practice exam provider.
Requests for refunds should be sent directly through the Contact page of the UExcel Web site.
Extensions to Eligibility to Test Windows
An extension to the six-month eligibility test window may be considered only when there are extenuating circumstances.
- The test taker must submit a written request through their MyExcelsior Message Center or by a signed letter faxed to Test Administration at 518-464-8777, and must also provide documentation supporting the request for an extension.
- The request should be reviewed with the Testing Programs Manager who may also seek the opinion of the Excelsior College Testing Services leadership.
- If an extension is approved, it must be for a limited time only, i.e. thirty days.
- The test taker's exam eligibility expiration date will be adjusted by a member of the Test Administration staff and uploaded to Pearson VUE.
- Weather related issues are handled on a case-by-case basis by the Test Administration group within the Center for Educational Measurement office.
Note: Generally, if the student's scheduled test center closes due to inclement weather, a Pearson VUE Call Center representative will try to contact student to reschedule the exam appointment for another date within their six-month test window. Student may also call Pearson VUE toll free at 888-926-9488 to reschedule an appointment themselves. If the test center remains open and the student decides not to attend, the examination fee would be forfeited.
In cases where weather does not warrant safe travel, students can notify Test Administration via MyExcelsior Message Center or via fax to Test Administration at 518-464-8777, including documentation regarding weather conditions. Test Administration will review the case to determine if the student qualifies for a $75 reduced reschedule fee for the missed appointment.
Extensions to the 90-day eligibility window for taking a practice exam will be granted only when technical problems attributed to Excelsior College caused an individual not to be able to take the practice test or review exam results.
Extensions to the six-month eligibility to test windows are not granted for UExcel Exams.
Extensions to the 90-day eligibility window for taking a UExcel practice exam are not granted except when a technical problem attributed to the UExcel practice exam provider has caused an individual not to be able to take the practice test or review exam results.