Who Uses UExcel Exams?
- Excelsior College students—almost three-fourths of our graduates have earned credit by examination.
- Students from other colleges use exams for course requirement exemptions and for transfer credits. Check with your academic advisor to see if an exam satisfies your program requirements. View a list of schools using our exams.
- Working adults apply exam credits toward job advancement, a college degree, certifications, or to validate proficiency in a subject for personal satisfaction. Check with your employer or labor organization for tuition assistance policies related to credit by exam.
- Employers and associations can offer employees or members an efficient and affordable path to degree completion or certifications with minimum disruption to workplace schedules.
- Teachers use exams to earn credits toward certification. Satisfactory exam grades are accepted in lieu of coursework to satisfy some requirements in general education, in teaching specialties (such as English or social studies), and in professional education.
- High school and home schooled students use exams to get a jump-start on earning college credit. We offer many exams that can be used as the basis for college-level study. Students complete the exam related coursework at their school using our available resources and then take the final exam at a Pearson VUE Test Center.
Test Preparation Advisory
Preparation for Excelsior College® Examinations, though based on independent study, is supported by Excelsior College with a comprehensive set of exam learning resources and services designed to help you succeed.
These learning resources are prepared by Excelsior College so you can be assured that they are current and cover the content you are expected to master for the exams. These resources, and your desire to learn, are usually all that you will need to succeed.
There are test-preparation companies that will offer to help you study for our examinations. Some may imply a relationship with Excelsior College and/or make claims that their products and services are all that you need to prepare for our examinations.
Excelsior College is not affiliated with any test preparation firm and does not endorse the products or services of these companies. No test preparation vendor is authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising services, or to collect any payments, on behalf of Excelsior College. Excelsior College does not send authorized representatives to a student's home.
Depending upon your individual learning style and needs, you may consider using the services and products of a test preparation vendor to help you prepare for an Excelsior College Examination. Some students have found such materials beneficial while others have not. The decision to purchase the services and products of any of these vendors is entirely up to you.
Excelsior College does not review the materials provided by test preparation companies for content or compatibility with Excelsior College Examinations.
To help you become a well-informed consumer we suggest that you consider the following before making any purchase decision regarding study materials provided by organizations other than Excelsior College.
Does the company:
- Clearly articulate that it is an independent business enterprise, separate from Excelsior College, and that it is not a degree granting institution?
- Clearly inform you that the products and services it provides have not been reviewed, nor are they endorsed, by Excelsior College?
- Openly indicate that it is not an agent of Excelsior College, that it is not authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising regarding Excelsior's degree requirements, and that all its costs and fees are separate from those you will pay to the College?
- Have a record of unresolved complaints/disputes with consumer protection agencies, nursing boards, attorneys general offices, or other similar organizations?
- Require clients to commit to long-term, binding contracts to access its products and services?
- Provide data to substantiate the satisfaction of its clients with its products and services?