Executive Director of Institutional Research
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning, seeks applicants for the position of Executive Director of Institutional Research to work within the Strategy and Institutional Effectiveness Unit. The Executive Director of Institutional Research is responsible for organizing and managing the daily activities of the institutional research office including oversight of an agenda of research and analysis that supports decision-making and College-wide strategic planning.
Responsibilities include working with faculty, staff, and administrators to identify data needs; implementing a research and analysis program to address the identified needs; supervising a professional staff, and cultivating a culture of continuous quality improvement. The Executive Director also develops policies and procedures to ensure data integrity and appropriate access to institutional information. This individual works collaboratively with College leaders to coordinate data collection and reporting activities.
- Provide oversight of an agenda of research, modeling, analytics, and related administrative tasks to support decision making and strategic planning.
- Develop and maintain policies, procedures, and practices to ensure data integrity and appropriate access to institutional information.
- Work with faculty, staff, and administrators to identify data needs; design and implement a research and analysis program to address identified needs.
- Develop multiphase operational plans to guide faculty development activities and institutional changes in policies, procedures, and practices.
- Work closely with faculty program directors across the College to understand their priorities for faculty development.
- Develop and administer survey research instruments.
- Specify procedures for data collection and management.
- Interact with the College's Student Information System to run queries and extract relevant data.
- Determine the most appropriate statistical analyses for existing data sets.
- Ensure the production of reliable and accurate statistics for internal and external consumption.
- Interpret statistical analyses for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Conduct original studies on factors influencing success in distance education.
- Prepare formal narrative reports for dissemination within the College community.
- Prepare oral and written presentations of research findings as needed for internal and external audiences.
- Cultivate and support a culture of decision-making based on evidence.
- Overnight travel is occasionally required.
This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance and resolving problems.
- Supervise the Director of Surveys & Reporting, Senior Research Analysts, and Database Developer.
- Manage purchases relevant to research initiatives and maintain the institutional research budget.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Qualifications include the following:
- An earned doctoral degree from an accredited institution in a social science discipline, statistics, higher education, or a related empirical research field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quantitative research methods, research design, and statistical analysis including multivariate statistics, survey methodology, and psychometric theory.
- Demonstrated skill in use of statistical programming in R, SAS®, SPSS® or other language (R preferred.); Skills in SQL are also desired.
- Experience in research design and implementation in an institution of higher learning.
- Demonstrated ability to cogently summarize research findings and their implications, both orally and in written reports.
- Ability to manage a multitude of ongoing processes where accuracy and timeliness are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative research environment.
- Strong working knowledge of statistical, spreadsheet, database, and word processing software packages.
- Excellent listening, analytical, writing, and communication skills.
- Excellent time management/prioritization skills.
- Familiarity with adult learners and distance learning environments is desired.
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Executive Director of Institutional Research Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.