Faculty Program Director, Business (Search Reopened)
Apply your passion for adult higher education while preparing students for success in meeting the challenges of the 21st Century. Excelsior College, a pioneer in distance education, offers an environment that values innovation, diversity and academic rigor. We seek experienced, motivated applicants for the position of Faculty Program Director, Business to work within the School of Business and Technology (SBT).
For over 40 years, Excelsior College has provided rigorous academic programs to adult learners. The College meets students where they are academically, geographically, and technologically and assists them in reaching their goals by offering a range of academic offerings. Excelsior College is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and holds specialized accreditation from TAC of ABET and NLNAC. Over 1,500 part-time and full-time faculty and a staff of over 500 currently serve over 35,000 enrolled students. This position is located in Albany, NY the Capital of New York State. Therefore, the College is part of a vibrant and culturally rich metropolitan area that has a population of approximately 800,000.
The roles and responsibilities of the Faculty Program Director in Business include those of internal faculty of the SBT as well as management and oversight of the delivery and development of the curriculum for the Business programs. They fall into the following categories of the respective program:
- Oversight for curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation
- Project manager
- Human resource manager
The Faculty Program Director works closely with all SBT staff and faculty and supportive units of the College, such as the Assessment Unit, to ensure quality of the respective program and services. Staff and faculty include:
- Assistant Deans
- Associate Deans
- The Dean of the School
- Internal faculty
- Support staff
- External faculty groups that support curriculum development, delivery, instruction, and advisory services in the School of Business and Technology
The Faculty Program Director in Business reports to Associate Dean of Business in SBT.
Direct Curriculum Development, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Chair/participate in faculty subcommittee(s).
- Overall curriculum
- Performance evaluation
- Course Development
- Oversee development, implementation, continual evaluation, and revision of curriculum including exams, courses, and programs.
- Collaborate with other units of the College in activities that support implementation, continual evaluation, and revision of the curriculum.
- Collaborate with Assistant Dean and advisors in student advisement activities.
- Provide consultation services as requested.
- Represent the college at professional meeting and forums.
- Participate in scholarly activities supportive of the educational enterprise including research and development activities (participation in professional organizations, through publications and presentations).
- Participate in SBT and College wide committees as assigned.
- Collaborate with other units for provision of student services.
- Direct team work to actualize program goals that support the mission and strategic plan of the College and SBT.
- Evaluate effectiveness of program operations and achievement of team goals.
- Establish effective work plans to accomplish program goals.
- Manage workflow efficiently.
Human Resource Manager
- Coordinate faculty and support staff assignments.
- Coordinate scheduling and delivery of quality assurance programs and program evaluation in collaboration with Associate Dean of SBT.
- Evaluate faculty and support staff performance according to College policies.
- Set clear expectations (goals and objectives for program) with adjunct faculty and support staff.
- Facilitate orientation and professional development of faculty and staff.
- Recruit, interview, and hire adjunct new faculty and support staff.
- Collaborate with Dean and Associate Dean to recruit, orient, and evaluate subcommittee members, and adjunct faculty.
- Conduct monthly team meetings as needed.
- Facilitate effective communication between the Business Program(s) and SBT, as well as with other units in the College.
- Facilitate effective communication, collaboration and consensus building among team members and promote team orientation.
- Create an atmosphere that promotes and encourages leadership behaviors from all team members.
- Orchestrate administrative aspects of examinations for credit, courses, and learning modules.
- Coordinate meetings with other faculty program directors, project directors, and faculty.
An earned Doctorate (PhD preferred) in a business discipline from a regionally accredited institution is REQUIRED, along with at least five years of teaching experience in a university or 4 year college.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication.
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies and staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to non-traditional education.
- Experience in business education and curriculum development.
- Familiarity with on-line education required for programs in business.
- Some experience in maintaining accredited programs in business.
The amount of travel varies and may be extensive.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Faculty Program Director, Business Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.