Military Tuition Assistance Update
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) has been reinstated for the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard*. Their respective websites are now accepting TA applications and making payments.
What Does This Mean For You?
Students can return to the course registration process they've always followed before TA cuts occurred. Anyone new to the College, can go to the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard pages to learn more about applying**, enrolling or registering for a course using military TA.
* As a result of the recently issued Coast Guard Tuition Assistance Cost Sharing Plan (per ALCOAST502/13), Excelsior College has announced the Excelsior College Coast Guard Tuition Assistance Waiver to assist our Coast Guard students enrolled in undergraduate degree and certificate programs.
** Excelsior has open admission for military servicemembers, with the exception of those planning to enroll in our associate and bachelor's level nursing programs. Army soldiers, however, will set up an account through the GoArmyEd.com portal, select their program of interest, and apply that way. They will also register for courses through this portal.
For Those Currently Without TA
You still have financial assistance options available to you. Give us a call and we can help you leverage these options. See a list of these below.
Military Tuition Funding Options
- Federal Student Aid. This option is obtained by filling out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) (PDF). You may be able to pay for your education with federal assistance.
- VA Benefits. This includes Post-9/11 benefits and can fund your course tuition and fees. Our military VA Benefits page has more details and step-by-step instructions for you.
- FREE Undergraduate Enrollment for New Military Students**. This is specially-created for new military students to help with college costs in lieu of TA cuts. Learn more on our enrollment fee waiver page.
- Generous Credit Transfer. We award credit for military training and several professional certifications in addition to transferring in a majority of your past college credits. This saves you time and money, not having to repeat courses unnecessarily. We believe you deserve credit for what you've already done and know. Learn more about your credit transfer options.
- Exam Options. You can test out of a subject you already know or study on your own, without the cost of a course, to earn credit toward your degree. UExcel exams cost only $95, are worth 3-6 credits per exam toward your degree. We also offer ECEs for a variety of subjects. Many military students use exams to save themselves money and time. Learn more about credit by exam.
* This scholarship is available to military servicemembers who do not currently have TA. All those with continued or reinstated TA, will use TA.
** This option is available for all branches of the military now through March 31, 2014.