Nurse Faculty Mentor (part-time 50%), School of Nursing
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, private, nonprofit institution and recognized leader in the field of higher education, seeks applicants for the position of Nurse Faculty Mentor available within the School of Nursing. This is a part-time (50%), three year (July 2014-June 2017), grant funded half-time position with benefits. The position is based in Albany, NY.
A career at Excelsior College offers an opportunity to work at a dynamic institution dedicated to adult distance education. We're looking for an individual with a collaborative style, who functions well in a teamwork environment, is solution oriented, outcome driven and has the ability to support returning adult veteran students.
The Nurse Faculty Mentor is responsible for helping students transition from a military health-care culture to civilian nursing and the academic environment in a new program designed to help service members separating from the military to achieve a BS in nursing and enter careers in nursing.
This position reports to the Associate Dean of the School of Nursing and is at the faculty program director level within the College.
- Engage newly enrolled veteran nursing students in their nursing program of study at both the associate and bachelor's levels to encourage, increase academic success, and help students persist to graduation.
- Assist and support students as they transition from military health-care culture to the civilian nursing profession as they progress through school.
- Work with Program Manager to establish the processes and activities defining the Mentorship Program.
- Conduct online outreach through webinars to veteran student groups.
- Carry out live chat sessions with veteran student cohorts on issues ranging from adjusting to an academic environment to nursing career options.
- Serve as a member of the Advisory Committee to provide input on curriculum development and evaluation results.
- Requires a minimum of a master's degree in nursing; a doctorate in nursing or related field is preferred.
- Preparation and/or experience in program management, nursing education, and knowledge of the returning military student. National Guard, reservist, or veteran status, permitting students to view the mentor as a role model and one who has experienced a similar career transition, is sought.
- Knowledgeable about challenges and concerns, both academic and non-academic, of returning adult veteran students.
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges of transitioning from military to civilian life, away from the highly structured military environment into independent online college study.
- Demonstrated strategies to deal with residual effects of military service including PTSD and traumatic brain injury.
- Able to develop supportive online relationships with students at a distance.
- Proficiency with Microsoft® Office.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to work cooperatively with internal staff, faculty, and students.
- Knowledge of information technology, online learning, learning management software and systems.
- Ability to coordinate numerous activities and diverse groups of people who need to collaborate to achieve results.
- Ability to work independently to complete projects on time.
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Nurse Faculty Mentor (part-time 50%) Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.
Open Positions at Excelsior College
Research Analyst (Part Time)