Online Instructional Technologist
The Online Instructional Technologist will provide multimedia design, development, and evaluation expertise for online and CD-ROM courses. Working collaboratively with College faculty and staff, the Online Instructional Technologist will use learning methodologies appropriate to adult learner needs to create learning-oriented multimedia in the context of online courses. Additional responsibilities include conducting faculty developer orientations, and leading or collaborating on special projects and initiatives that require expertise in multimedia learning design.
- Work in collaboration with subject matter experts, faculty program directors, and unit members to develop media-rich learning objects for online courses.
- Create, revise, repurpose, or locate and adapt multimedia materials for online teaching and learning.
- Oversee the deployment of multimedia within the course management system (Blackboard), web conference environment, and other applications used for online teaching and learning.
- Lead research, testing, and evaluation of new applications and software supporting multimedia learning assets.
- Apply current learning research and theory to the practice of multimedia design for online instruction.
- Evaluate and ensure the quality, accuracy, and effectiveness of instructional materials within the context of Quality Matters and College policies.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate training materials for faculty and staff use.
- Recommend policies and procedures which promote collaboration, partnerships, and relationships among departments.
- Identify and help resolve ethical and legal implications of multimedia use in online education.
- Maintain current knowledge of multimedia advances in higher education and of relevant instructional design practices.
- Attend/present at professional conferences, as required.
Occasional travel for conference attendance and presentation.
- Master's degree in Educational Technology, Instructional Technology, Instructional Design or a related area from a regionally accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in higher education or adult training environment, with an emphasis on distance learning and multimedia development and implementation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills using instructional design in an online environment.
- Proficiency in HTML, HTML5, and CSS.
- Familiarity with XML, JAVA, PHP, and other dynamic scripting languages.
- Advanced skills in creating interactive instructional materials with applications such as Articulate Studio, Articulate Storyline, Adobe Creative Suite tools, Camtasia, SoftChalk, Web 2.0 tools, and related open-source software.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Prior experience with a course management system.
- Experience with online learning standards including SCORM, Universal Design for Learning, Section 508 requirements, and web usability practices.
- Experience creating and modifying Flash-based content.
- College instructional design and teaching experience preferred.
Other qualifications include:
The candidate must have the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. The candidate must also possess advanced organizational skills and flexible interpersonal communication skills to ensure that specialized projects and the daily work flow are organized, prioritized, and accurately completed within prescribed timeframes.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references either online or mail to:
Human Resources Office
Online Instructional Technologist Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.