Bachelors Degrees | Business Degree – Management Information Systems - Excelsior College
Page Hero - Areas of Study - Business Programs
Bachelor of Science in Business (Management Information Systems) w/ CBE
Bachelor's in Business (Management Information Systems)
Information technology professionals are always in demand, so an IT degree pays big dividends in the job market.
At Excelsior College, you can earn a competency-based Bachelor of Science in Business (Management Information Systems) that's directly informed by workforce trends in the information technology industry.
A pioneer in online IT classes and distance learning, Excelsior offers an online business bachelor's that lets you earn your degree in less time than a traditional information systems management degree.
Competency-based education (CBE) at Excelsior allows you to earn your BS in Business with concentration in management information systems (MIS) by making the most of what you already know through a personalized program of study that combines course-based learning, independent study, and earned external credits.
- Course-based learning refers to Excelsior's 8 or 15-week online courses in information systems management and other subjects that are directly informed by current trends in workforce development.
- Independent study options help you pursue self-paced learning with study guides and practice tests before earning credit by exam. You can also simply test out of subjects you've already mastered.
- Earned external credits are accrued through coursework completed at other institutions, military experience, college-level exams like CLEP and DSST, learning assessment, and workforce training and professional certifications completed before and/or during your enrollment.
Created for working adults looking to advance their careers, this online business degree with management information systems focus ends with a capstone that assesses your knowledge through projects, simulations, and a summative exam.
Earn a degree that's accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education in a way that fits with your life, your budget, and your career goals.
- Maximize the value of your transfer credits from other accredited colleges.
- Take 8 or 15-week online information management classes that fit your schedule.
- Transfer more credits to lower your costs and shorten the path to your BS in Business.
- Convert your IT experience into college credit that counts toward your bachelor's in business degree.
- Enjoy affordable tuition and low fees, and access financial aid, payment plans, and other assistance.
Online IT Classes with a Hands-on Focus
Excelsior's concentration in management information systems can be personalized to fit your talents, interests, experience, and career goals. You can design your bachelor's degree program to fit one of two IT career tracks, management or technical. You'll master current technologies, methods, and trends in the IT industry, while gaining skills in information systems management that you can immediately apply on the job. Excelsior's BS in business degree with concentration in information systems management will help you compete for jobs in fields such as:
- Systems design and integration
- Project management
- Information systems management
- Artificial intelligence
- Advanced programming
- Database architecture and design
- Senior IT management
Program Page: Apply and RFI Links
BS in Business Credit Requirements
BS in Business Credit Requirements
120 credits required. 60 in the arts and sciences, 51 in the business component (to include a minimum of 21 at the upper level of which 9 must be in the concentration), and 9 in the additional credit component (to include the 1-credit Information Literacy requirement).
Courses classified as upper level must be junior-senior level (300 - 400) and can be classified as a business core, concentration, and/or business elective course.
We expect that as an Excelsior College baccalaureate business graduate you will be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehension of the principles of accounting, marketing, finance, management and economics.
- Demonstrate comprehension of the legal and social environment of business.
- Demonstrate comprehension of the global environment of business.
- Apply ethical considerations to the obligations and responsibilities of business.
- Apply business tools to real-world situations.
- Employ information literacy techniques.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Apply business concepts and functions in an integrated manner.
Review the student learning outcomes
As an Excelsior College baccalaureate-level business graduate you will be able to:
- Apply general and discipline specific concepts and methodologies to identify, analyze and solve business problems.
- Demonstrate an individual desire and commitment to remain current with and adaptive to changing business conditions through continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Demonstrate independent thinking, function effectively in team-oriented settings, and maintain a high level of performance in a professional business environment.
- Communicate effectively in a professional business environment.
- Perform ethically and professionally in business and society.
- Attain increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in one's chosen career field.
Institutional Accreditation heading block
Institutional Accreditation universal content block
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000). The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
All of Excelsior College's academic programs are registered (i.e., approved) by the New York State Education Department.
Specialized Business Accreditation: Intro
SPECIALIZED ACCREDITATION for Business Degrees
Excelsior College has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), 11374 Strang Line Rd., Lenexa, KS 66215; 913-631-3009; www.iacbe.org. The IACBE is a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).