Online Bachelor's Degree from an Accredited Leader in Distance Learning
Excelsior College's online bachelor's degree in history requires significantly less time, money, and hassle than a history degree from a traditional college. You'll sharpen writing and critical thinking skills that employers value, earning a respected online history degree that can improve your job prospects, earning potential, and career opportunities.
See the course requirements for the Bachelor's in History degree.
- Foundational, minimum 4 courses, divided between 2 areas:
- Survey courses in U.S. History: minimum two courses, such as:
- United States History I
- United States History II
- Survey Courses in World History, such as:
- World History I
- World History II
- U.S. History
Minimum 2 courses, intermediate and upper level courses, such as:
- U.S. Military History
- Colonial America
- Revolutionary America
- African American History
- A History of Women in America
- U.S. Immigrant and Ethnic History
- U.S. Foreign Affairs since 1898
- United States Civil War
- European History
Minimum 2 courses, intermediate and upper-level courses, such as:
- Contemporary European History and Politics
- Non-Western History
Minimum 1 course, intermediate and upper-level courses, such as:
- Contemporary Middle East History
- Contemporary Chinese History and Politics
- U.S. - Vietnam War
- Electives, additional courses from areas 2, 3, 4 above.
- Capstone course: LA 498HIS History Capstone
How does Excelsior speed you toward completion of an online history degree?
- We offer online history classes that you can take on your own schedule, where and when it's most convenient for you.
- Our liberal transfer policies give you maximum transfer credit for previous college work, so you need fewer courses to complete the online history degree.
- Excelsior grants academic credit for many forms of military training and professional education.
- We offer credit-by-exam options for many courses, enabling you to earn a full semester's credits in a single test.
- Our affordable tuition, low student fees, and flexible payment plans help you fit a history degree within your budget.
The history major may lead toward either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree, depending on the precise mix of elective credits you choose. Major requirements do not change. Excelsior's academic advisors can provide guidance on which option works best for you.
A History Degree That's Designed for Working Adults
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. (Learn more about the MSCHE accreditation and programs specialized accreditations on our accreditation page.)
Our online history degree meets the same standards for academic quality that govern history programs at in-person colleges. And Excelsior's professors are drawn from history degree programs at top institutions from around the country.
You'll work independently in our online history classes, but you'll always have support. Excelsior offers:
- First-rate academic assistance from an award-winning team of advisors.
- Interactive online communities that enable you to collaborate with fellow students and faculty.
- Access to library resources, study guides, research materials, and other educational assets.