Online Bachelor's Degree from an Accredited Leader in Distance Learning
Excelsior's online Bachelor of Science in Social Sciences (Human Services concentration) can help prepare you for careers in rapidly expanding fields such as health services and elder care, as well as family services, nonprofit administration, public policy, and related fields.
Designed for working adults who need to balance college with work and family commitments, Excelsior College's social science degree program lets students explore a broad range of subjects while developing a versatile, highly marketable skill set.
See the course requirements for the Bachelor's in Social Science degree (Human Services concentration).
- Survey course in Human Services such as:
- SOC 230 Introduction to Human Services
- Ethics in Human Services such as:
- HSC 312 Ethics of Health Care
- Select one course from at least four different areas:
- Human Services Administration such as:
- BUS 312 Managing Human Resources
- BUS 311 Organizational Behavior
- HSC 418 Human Resource Management in Health Care Organizations
- BUSX 315 Organizational Behavior exam
- BUSX 410 Human Resource Management exam
- Health Policy such as:
- HSC 330 Legal and Regulatory Environment on Health Care
- SOC 309 Ethics and Social Policy in Human Services
- Elder Care such as:
- HSC 408 Death, Dying and Bereavement
- HSC 410 Symptom Management in End of Life Care
- HSC 416 Introduction to Gerontology: Physical, Psychological and Social Aspects of
- HSC426 Gerontology: Social Policy and Aging
- HSC 436 Gerontology: Provision of Health Care Services to An Older Adult Population
- PSYX 315 Psychology of Adulthood and Aging exam
- SOCX 310 Foundations of Gerontology exam
- Family, Child and Youth Services such as:
- CJ 301 Juvenile Delinquency and Justice
- CJ 310 Family Law
- CJ 436 Child Abuse and Neglect
- PHB 342 Homelessness: Social and Health Perspectives
- SOC 201 Family
- SOC 428 Families, Delinquency and Crime
- SOCX 320 Juvenile Delinquency exam
- Disability such as:
- HSC 331 Psychosocial Impact of Chronic Illness on Person and Environment
- SOC 314 Sociology of Health and Illness
- Human Services Electives such as:
- HSC 320 Health Care Issues in Culturally Diverse Populations
- HSC 380 the Global Impact of Aids: Person, Family and Community
A national innovator in distance education, Excelsior has been helping working adults meet their educational needs since 1971. You'll be able to earn a social science degree quickly, affordably, and conveniently by:
- Taking online social science classes from your own computer, at the time and place that works best with your schedule.
- Getting maximum transfer credit for your college work at other accredited institutions.
- Receiving academic credit for certain forms of military education, professional training, and work experience.
- Paying low tuition and student fees that keep the cost of a social science degree within almost any budget. (Visit our tuition page to find out how much you can save.)
A Degree to Prepare You for Human Services Careers
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. (Learn more about the MSCHE accreditation and programs specialized accreditations on our accreditation page.)
Our social science degree program is led by outstanding faculty drawn from colleges across the country. You'll have the chance to interact with instructors and classmates via Excelsior's advanced online portal, while getting personalized support from our nationally recognized team of academic advisors.
The human services concentration provides you with an excellent foundation for careers in growing sectors. Possibilities include public health, nursing home administration, counseling, paralegal work, nonprofit leadership, government, journalism, and education.