Online Bachelor's Degree from an Accredited Leader in Distance Learning
The online Bachelor of Science in Social Sciences degree offers the freedom to explore a broad range of subjects. It also provides a foundation of versatile skills that can help you succeed in today's fast-changing workplace, and compete for jobs in a wide range of industries.
Excelsior College's social science degree program stands out for its flexibility and convenience—ideal for working adults. You can earn the degree quickly and affordably, in an online format that lets you fit courses in comfortably alongside family and work responsibilities.
See the course requirements for the Bachelor's in Social Science degree.
- Core Requirements for all students:
- An introductory level survey course in interdisciplinary Social Science such as:
- SOC 110 Introduction to Interdisciplinary Social Science
- A course on theories of societal organization such as: Social Theory
- SOC 319 Understanding Society: the theories of Karl Marx, W.E.B. DuBois and Others
- Social Science Research Methods such as:
- SOC 465 Social Science Research
- Research and Writing in the Major such as:
- LA 496 Research and Writing in the Liberal Arts
- Social Science Capstone
- The Social Science major requires the completion of the Excelsior College capstone course LA 498SS Social Science Capstone, with a grade of C or better.
- Three or more courses in one social science discipline (choosing from sociology, political science, economics, anthropology, geography, history, psychology and criminal justice)
- Two or more courses in a second social science discipline (choosing from sociology, political science, economics, anthropology, geography, history, psychology and criminal justice)
- Electives from the social sciences
Students may choose courses for IIA, IIB and IIC such as:
- ECO 260 Introduction to Microeconomics
- ECO 262 Introduction to Macroeconomics
- ECON 341 Globalization
- ECON 360 International Economics
- POL 311 Public Policy Issues
- POL 370 American Political Behavior
- PSY 360 Social Psychology
- SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 250 Race
- Ethnicity and Gender
- SOC 318 Sociology of the Workplace
- SOC 323 Deviant Behavior
- SOC 325 Religion and Society
- SOC 375 Urban Sociology
- PSYX Social Psychology exam
- SOCX 105 Introduction to Sociology exam
- SOCX 305 Cultural Diversity exam
- SOCX 330 World Population exam
Excelsior has been educating America's adults since 1971. We've developed innovative solutions to the educational challenges that working adults face, eliminating barriers so you can complete your degree.
- Excelsior's online social science classes are offered on a rotating eight-week basis, giving you the flexibility to fit courses conveniently into your schedule.
- Our liberal credit-transfer policies maximize the value of college courses you've taken from other accredited institutions—and reduce the number of courses you need to take from Excelsior.
- We award academic credit for qualified forms of military education, professional training, and work experience.
- You'll pay affordable tuition and low student fees, with a flexible payment option that helps you manage the cost of a social science degree. (Visit our tuition page to find out how much you can save.)
- Our outstanding team of advisors are always available to provide you with responsive, personalized academic support.
A Social Science Degree Designed for Working Adults
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. (Learn more about the MSCHE accreditation and programs specialized accreditations on our accreditation page.)
Our online social science degree program meets the same high academic standards as a comparable degree from an on-campus college. You'll work with experienced faculty who've taught at institutions across the country, while interacting with classmates and instructors via Excelsior's advanced online tools.
A social sciences degree fosters skills you can market in many different industries. It can help you advance your career in such fields as sales, marketing, business management and administration, law, government, journalism, education, and nonprofit work.