Online Bachelor's Degree from an Accredited Leader in Distance Learning
A sociology degree provides an excellent background for a wide range of careers—everything from business and law to education, research, and social services.
Excelsior College's online bachelor's degree in sociology provides one of the most direct, convenient degree pathways you can find at an accredited college.
- Foundational: minimum two courses
- An introductory level/survey course in sociology/social science, such as:
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introduction to Interdisciplinary Social Science
- A college-level social science focused statistics course, such as:
- Statistics for Healthcare Professionals
- Comprehensive: minimum of four courses at intermediate and upper levels with at least one course each from four of six key areas listed below. (Many courses offered by the Sociology program at Excelsior College and other college-wide programs fulfill this requirement)
- Social Inequality and Diversity, such as:
- Race, Ethnicity and Gender
- Contemporary Social Problems
- Global or Comparative Sociology, such as:
- Environmental Issues and Society
- Social Conflict, such as:
- Deviant Behavior
- Ethnic Conflict and Genocide
- Social Policy and Action, such as:
- Environmental Policy and Management
- Ethics and Social Policy in Human Services
- Social Psychology, such as:
- Sociology of Institutions, such as:
- U.S. Schools in a Global Society
- Sociology of the Workplace
- Religion and Society
- Advanced integrating: minimum of two courses, one in each area:
- At least one upper-level research methods course, such as:
- At least one upper-level course on sociological theory, such as:
- Understanding Society: the Theories of Marx, Dubois and others
- Research and Writing in the Major: minimum 1 credit.
- 5. Electives in the Discipline
- 6. Social Science Capstone Course
A national leader in distance learning since 1971, Excelsior designed its online sociology degree for working adults who need to balance education with work and family responsibilities.
You can complete our sociology degree in less time, at lower cost, than you'd typically need to finish a sociology degree at an on-campus institution. At Excelsior, you will:
- Take online sociology classes at your convenience, whenever they fit into your schedule.
- Receive maximum transfer credit for your previous college work, leaving you with a shorter path to degree completion.
- Be able to get academic credit for qualifying types of military training and job experience.
- Save money on Excelsior's affordable tuition and low student fees. (What will it cost? Find out here.)
- Get personalized support from Excelsior's award-winning team of academic advisors.
- Take classes rotate on a convenient eight-week schedule, so you won't be tied to the traditional academic calendar.
The sociology major may lead toward either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree, depending on the precise mix of elective credits you choose. Major requirements do not change. Excelsior's advisors can provide guidance on which option works best for you.
An Online Sociology Degree for Working Adults
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. (Learn more about the MSCHE accreditation programs and specialized accreditations on our accreditation page.)
We offer a rigorous education that adheres to the same benchmarks for academic quality as sociology degree offerings from on-campus colleges. You'll work with outstanding faculty while developing widely marketable skills such as:
- Critical thinking
- Writing and research
- Oral communication and presentation
- Comparative analysis
- Cross-cultural fluency