Law Enforcement and Public Safety
Online Criminal Justice Degree from an Accredited Leader in Distance Learning
In the competition for upper-level law enforcement and public safety jobs, a bachelor's degree can give you a big advantage.
Get a competitive edge quickly and conveniently with Excelsior College's online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice (Law Enforcement and Public Safety concentration).
Whether you're just starting out in your career or are a working professional who's striving for promotion to upper-level jobs, Excelsior's online law enforcement and public safety classes offer more flexibility and convenience than a traditional criminal justice degree program.
- Core Requirements
- An introductory-level criminal justice survey course covering law enforcement, the courts, and corrections.
- CJ101 Introduction to Criminal Justice
- An introductory-level survey course in law enforcement.
- CJ110 Introduction to Law Enforcement
- An introductory level survey course in law enforcement
- CJ110 Introduction to Law Enforcement
- A theoretical course on theories of crime, causation, victimology, and criminology
- CJ324 Criminology
- CJ326 Victimology
- A course in research methods in the social sciences
- SOC465 Social Science Research
- CJ 498 Criminal Justice Capstone
- Intermediate and upper-level courses: 4 courses/exams from at least 3 of the following 5 areas.
Below are a sample of the courses which may be chosen:
- Legal and ethical issues areas such as constitutional law, juvenile law, civil rights, liberties, ethics in CJ, alternative dispute resolution, family law, immigration law, correctional law, evidentiary law
- CJ265 Criminal Procedures and Evidence
- Procedure and practice issues
- CJ372 Crime Reconstruction
- Security issues
- CJ452 Security Planning and Assessment
- Organization issues
- BUS311 Organizational Behavior
- Police and the community issues
- CJ228 Multicultural Issues in Criminal Justice
- Electives: additional courses in criminal justice or related subjects
Excelsior's program is specifically designed for working adults, providing a practical path to degree completion. At Excelsior, you will:
- Take online criminal justice classes on your own schedule, without interfering with work and family commitments.
- Earn your degree more quickly, thanks to liberal credit-transfer policies that enable you to graduate in the shortest possible time.
- Be eligible for academic credit for certain types of military experience, academy training, and professional accomplishments.
- Pay affordable tuition and low student fees, with flexible payment plans to keep your expenses in check. (Visit our Costs and Financing page to get all the details.)
Learn more about the special benefits for working adults in Excelsior's criminal justice degree. (PDF)
A Career-Building Degree for Law Enforcement and Public Safety Professionals
Excelsior College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. (Learn more about the MSCHE accreditation programs and specialized accreditations on our accreditation page.)
A national leader in distance learning and adult education since 1971, Excelsior upholds the same academic standards as criminal justice degree programs at traditional colleges. Our online criminal justice classes are led by first-rate professors who are affiliated with leading criminal justice degree programs across the United States.
The law enforcement and public safety concentration provides you with a thorough background in subjects such as:
- Procedures and evidence
- Community policing
- Public and private security
- Forensic pathology
- Domestic violence and family issues
- Drug crimes
- Cultural diversity and racial profiling
Excelsior graduates compete very successfully in the law enforcement job market, gaining employment with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, private security firms, and other public safety employers.