Recommended Software and Computer Protection
Mozilla Firefox is a free web browser. Firefox can be installed on a Windows or Macintosh computer and can be used as an alternative to the built-in web browsers for your computers operating system; Internet Explorer on Windows computers and Apple Safari on Macintosh computer.
Download Mozilla Firefox. Installation instructions and support information are available on the download page.
Google Chrome is a free web browser. Chrome can be installed on a Windows or Macintosh computer and can be used as an alternative to the built-in web browsers for your computers operating system; Internet Explorer on Windows computers and Apple Safari on Macintosh computer
Download Google Chrome. Installation instructions and support information are available on the download page.
Excelsior College currently supports the use of Microsoft Word for use in our courses. More information about Microsoft Word can be found at Microsoft Word.
Where can I get computer protection software?
If you don't have computer protection software (software that protects your computer from malware viruses, spyware, etc.) installed, you can obtain a free, personal edition from several reliable vendors. Visit one of the sites listed below to download computer protection software, and follow the provided instructions for installation and usage. The software choices listed below each protect against viruses and spyware.
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- avast! Free Antivirus
- AVG Anti Virus Free Edition
- Avira Free Antivirus
- Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
The most important step when using computer protection software is to keep it current, as it relies on regular updates to guard against the latest threats and malware. Updates are typically available through your computer protection software vendor.
More information regarding computer security and antivirus solutions are available at:
Detect and Remove Spyware
Spyware programs are a type of malware just like computer viruses, however, your antivirus software may not be able to detect and remove all instances of spyware. On Windows-based computers it is recommended that you use one or more antispyware programs to protect your computer. The following programs can be installed in addition to the antivirus software choices listed in the Antivirus section.
- Spybot Spybot Search & Destroy (S&D) Free Edition for Windows *
- SUPERSAntiSpyware Free Edition for Windows *
* Please note that neither Excelsior College nor the colleges and universities working with Excelsior College to offer online courses are responsible for preventing malware infections or providing technical support for any computer protection software you may choose to install. Therefore, since these programs are not developed by Excelsior College, if you have any technical support questions or problems regarding these programs, you will need to contact the respective program vendor.