Repeating UExcel® Exams and Excelsior College® Examinations
Statement of Policy
Excelsior College Theory Examinations
Students (defined as enrolled, prospective, reenrollees, and test takers) may take all undergraduate examinations a total of four times and no more than three times in a given year. All attempts, passes and failures, will apply to the four attempt testing limit. Students may repeat an examination 60 days after the first attempt and 120 days after the second and subsequent attempts.
Nursing students may take a specific nursing theory examination a maximum of four times and no more than three times in a given year. All attempts, passes and failures, will apply to the four attempt testing limit. Failing the same nursing theory examination at the fourth administration will lead to academic dismissal from the program for enrolled students and denial of admission to the nursing program for prospective students.
Excelsior College Performance Examinations/Requirements
The Clinical Performance in Nursing Examination (CPNE®), and the Focused Clinical Competencies Assessment (FCCA®) may be repeated twice, for a total of three times. Failure of the performance examination or competency assessment on the third attempt will lead to academic dismissal from the nursing degree program.
Nursing students are eligible to appeal to the dean of the School of Nursing to reenroll 5 years from the date of their dismissal from the nursing degree program. Students who are dismissed from the nursing degree program may seek consideration for transfer to another degree program within 60 days from the date of their dismissal. Failure to do so will result in academic dismissal from the program and administrative withdrawal from the college.
All Undergraduate Examinations
- Students may reregister, but not retest, immediately following the first attempt.
- Students may repeat the undergraduate examination 60 days after the first attempt and 120 days after the second and subsequent attempts. An undergraduate examination can be taken no more than three times in a given year from the first time the student tested beginning September 1, 2001.
- Applications for a fifth administration for an undergraduate examination will be rejected and returned to the examinee with a letter explaining the policy.
- In the event that an examination is administered beyond the fourth time for any undergraduate examination, the examinee’s grade will not be reported, or if the grade has already been reported, the grade will be invalidated. In the latter case, any credit granted by Excelsior College will be withdrawn, and examination registration fees will be refunded.
- The highest grade is computed in the overall GPA and Excelsior College GPA, except for the School of Nursing’s nursing theory exams, where the most recent grade, not highest grade, is computed in the overall GPA.
Note: Students who take a combination of nursing courses and nursing theory examinations will have a maximum of four attempts. For example, students may take one course and three exams; two courses and two exams; three courses and no exams; one exam and three courses; four exams and no courses.
For all Performance Examinations
- The dean of the School of Nursing will notify the student in writing after 3 unsuccessful attempts to pass the performance examination or competencies assessment, and the student will be academically dismissed from the nursing program.
- The dean of the School of Nursing will notify the Office of Registration and Records to block enrollment in the nursing program for a maximum of 5 years from the date of dismissal.