School of Nursing: CPNE®
CPNE® Application & Payment
- Gather the required documents
- Review the cost and payment options
- Apply online for your exam
Gather the documents listed below and submit them as file attachments as you apply online. Acceptable file formats for attachment include the following: gif, jpg, jpe, jfif, jif, tiff, and tif. If you do not have access to a scanner at home or work, ask a friend or relative, or try a local copy center or library.
You must submit a copy of the front and back of your current CPR card with holder's signature, which must also be valid through the time of your scheduled CPNE test date. All online CPR certifications must be validated with hands on skills by a certified instructor of that course.
| Approved Courses |
If your CPR course name is not listed below, your CPR card will not be accepted.
| The American Red Cross || American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) |
| The Canadian Red Cross || The National Safety Council |
| The American Heart Association |
Students preparing for the CPNE are required to obtain a criminal background check* and submit the results to the School of Nursing. The School of Nursing will provide written verification for all students who have been successfully cleared by a criminal background check to the clinical agency. If the student has been convicted of a felony, student suitability for clinical placement will be determined by the clinical agency, the Dean, or designee of the School of Nursing.
Ordering Your Background Check
Purchase your background check through Castlebranch.com and submit the results electronically during the CPNE application process.
- Go to Castlebranch.com and select "Place Order"
- In the Package Code box, enter the appropriate code (see Cost and Package Codes below).
- Select a method of payment.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete your order.
Once your order is submitted, the results will be available in approximately 48-72 hours. You will receive a password via email to view the results on their secure website. Download and attach the results to your CPNE application.
Costs and Package Codes
The type and cost of the background check depends on the state in which you choose to test.
Test sites outside of Georgia: Cost is $12 and the Package Code is XC39.
Georgia test sites: Cost is $52* and the Package Code is XC39-1. Georgia requires a more in-depth background check. If you intend to test at Memorial Health in Savannah Georgia, please contact the CPNE Performance Assessment Center before completing your criminal background check. If you have already submitted XC39, you will only need to pay the difference for the more extensive background check.
*The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO) Standard HR.1.20 states, "for staff, students, and volunteers who work in the same capacity as staff who provide care, treatment, and services…criminal background checks are verified when required by law and regulation and organizational policy." It further states that "The student's educational institutions must certify that there is nothing in the student's background which would render him/her unsuitable for an assignment in a health care setting." A felony conviction may disqualify a student from clinical placement.
You must submit a good quality passport size (2 x 2 inches), head and shoulder photo of yourself.
The U.S. Department of State's Composition Checklist page shows examples.
If you need help with the photo, you can get a passport-size photo taken many places, including portrait studios of chain stores such as Walgreens Wal-Mart, Sears, and JCPenny.
Students will be required to have a healthcare provider complete the CPNE Health Status Report (provided in the CPNE portal) to include with their CPNE application.
Cost and Payment
Please visit the Costs & Financing page for Nurses to see the most current CPNE fee.
Fee shown is for the exam only. Other associated expenses such as books and study resources, or travel, lodging, or providing any required documentation or background checks, are additional. Payment plans are available.
Pay by credit card during the online application process. You may pay in full, or use our CPNE Payment Plan to budget automatic payments from your checking or savings account. Download the CPNE Payment Plan brochure (PDF) for viewing purposes only.
Third Party Payments
If a third party will be covering all or part of your CPNE fee they will need to provide us with a purchase order or other document for our billing purposes. The document should contain the following information:
- Your name
- Your Excelsior College student ID number or your Social Security Number
- How much of the CPNE fee the third party payer is agreeing to pay
- Name and address of the organization/company, and the name of the contact person to which the invoice should be sent
Send the completed document to our Bursar's Office by one of the following:
- Fax: 518-464-8700
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Excelsior College Bursar's Office
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, NY 12203
Attn: Third Party Billing
- Your online application and supporting documents will be reviewed 7-10 business days after submission.
- It takes and average of 5 months to receive a test date.
- Your scheduled test date will be 7-12 months from the date your application has been verified as complete.
- Choosing multiple test sites may decrease your wait time.
- An incomplete application will take longer to process.
We will email you when the third party billing is ready, and you may then complete the online application.
When you have all your required documents ready to attach as electronic files (gif, jpg, or tif), go to the CPNE Online Application to apply.
Your confirmation packet and any site specific documents will be sent to your My Message Center 7 -10 business days after you receive your test date and location.
Cancellation & Rescheduling
- You may cancel/reschedule up to three test dates using the same CPNE application.
- After you have canceled/rescheduled your third test date, you must submit an updated CPNE application.
- Each time you cancel/reschedule you will be placed back in the scheduling queue, and cancellation fees will apply.
|45 calendar days or more prior to the scheduled CPNE||$100|
|30-44 calendar days prior to the scheduled CPNE||$250|
|21-29 calendar days prior to the scheduled CPNE||$540|
|14-20 calendar days prior to the scheduled CPNE||$800|
|0-13 calendar days prior to the scheduled CPNE||Forfeiture of CPNE fee|
Exceptions to this policy will be made on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the CPNE Director of Operations.
Test Preparation Advisory
Preparation for Excelsior College® Examinations, though based on independent study, is supported by Excelsior College with a comprehensive set of exam learning resources and services designed to help you succeed.
These learning resources are prepared by Excelsior College so you can be assured that they are current and cover the content you are expected to master for the exams. These resources, and your desire to learn, are usually all that you will need to succeed.
There are test-preparation companies that will offer to help you study for our examinations. Some may imply a relationship with Excelsior College and/or make claims that their products and services are all that you need to prepare for our examinations.
Excelsior College is not affiliated with any test preparation firm and does not endorse the products or services of these companies. No test preparation vendor is authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising services, or to collect any payments, on behalf of Excelsior College. Excelsior College does not send authorized representatives to a student's home.
Depending upon your individual learning style and needs, you may consider using the services and products of a test preparation vendor to help you prepare for an Excelsior College Examination. Some students have found such materials beneficial while others have not. The decision to purchase the services and products of any of these vendors is entirely up to you.
Excelsior College does not review the materials provided by test preparation companies for content or compatibility with Excelsior College Examinations.
To help you become a well-informed consumer we suggest that you consider the following before making any purchase decision regarding study materials provided by organizations other than Excelsior College.
Does the company:
- Clearly articulate that it is an independent business enterprise, separate from Excelsior College, and that it is not a degree granting institution?
- Clearly inform you that the products and services it provides have not been reviewed, nor are they endorsed, by Excelsior College?
- Openly indicate that it is not an agent of Excelsior College, that it is not authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising regarding Excelsior's degree requirements, and that all its costs and fees are separate from those you will pay to the College?
- Have a record of unresolved complaints/disputes with consumer protection agencies, nursing boards, attorneys general offices, or other similar organizations?
- Require clients to commit to long-term, binding contracts to access its products and services?
- Provide data to substantiate the satisfaction of its clients with its products and services?