School of Nursing: CPNE®
CPNE® Application & Payment
- Gather the required documents
- Review the cost and payment options
- Apply online for the exam
Gather the documents listed below and submit them as file attachments as you apply online. Acceptable file formats for attachment include the following: gif, jpg, jpe, jfif, jif, tiff, and tif. If you do not have access to a scanner at home or work, ask a friend or relative, or try a local copy center or library.
You must submit a copy of the front and back of your current CPR card with holder's signature, which must also be valid through the time of your scheduled CPNE test date.
If your CPR course name is not listed below, your CPR card will not be accepted.
| The American Red Cross (E-Certificates accepted) || American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) |
| The Canadian Red Cross || The National Safety Council |
| The American Heart Association (E-Certificates accepted) || Military Training Network (MTN) |
Students preparing for the CPNE are required to obtain a criminal background check and submit the results to the School of Nursing. The School of Nursing will provide written verification for all students who have been successfully cleared by a criminal background check to the clinical agency. Misdemeanor or felony convictions could jeopardize a student's ability to be placed at a clinical site.
- The background check must be no more than 2 years old
- Students who had a background check more than 2 years ago will have to complete another
- Some clinical testing locations may require specific background checks and/or drug screening.
You must submit a good quality passport size (2 x 2 inches), head and shoulder photo of yourself.
The U.S. Department of State's Composition Checklist page shows examples.
If you need help with the photo, you can get a passport-size photo taken many places, including portrait studios of chain stores such as Walgreens Wal-Mart, Sears, and JCPenny.
Students will be required to have a healthcare provider complete the CPNE Health Status Report (provided in the CPNE portal) to include with their CPNE application.
Cost and Payment
Please visit the Costs & Financing page for Nurses for current fee information (see under "Associate Degrees" header).
Tuition shown is for exam only.
- The CPNE is 8 credits and tuition is based on the cost/credit at the time the CPNE application is submitted.
- You are responsible for all expenses (travel, hotel, meals, etc.) to attend the CPNE.
- You are responsible for costs associated with the purchase of textbooks and fee for service learning resources.
Tuition and expenses are subject to change without notice.
Payment plans are available.
Pay by credit card during the online application process. You may pay in full, or use our CPNE Payment Plan to budget automatic payments from your checking or savings account. Download the CPNE Payment Plan brochure (PDF) for viewing purposes only.
Third Party Payments
If a third party will be covering all or part of the CPNE tuition you will have to submit a paper application. The third party will need to provide Excelsior College with a purchase order or other document for billing purposes. The document should contain the following:
- Your name
- Your Excelsior College ID number
- Name and address of the organization/company, and the name of the contact person to which the invoice should be sent
Send the completed document to our Bursar's Office by one of the following:
- Fax: 518-464-8700
- Email: email@example.com
Excelsior College Bursar's Office
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, NY 12203
Attn: Third Party Billing
We will email you when the third party billing is ready, and you may then complete the online application.
Application Processing and Scheduling
- Your online application and supporting documents will be reviewed 7-10 business days after submission.
- It takes and average of 5 months to receive a test date.
- Your scheduled test date will be 7-12 months from the date your application has been verified as complete.
- Choosing multiple test sites may decrease your wait time.
- An incomplete application will take longer to process.
When you have all your required documents ready to attach as electronic files (gif, jpg, jpe, jfif, jif, tiff, or tif), go to the CPNE Online Application to apply (login required).
Your confirmation packet and any site specific documents will be sent to your My Message Center 7 -10 business days after you receive your test date and location.
Decline, Cancel, Postpone, or Reschedule CPNE Date
- You may decline the first CPNE date without penalty; fees will be assessed for additional declinations.
- Should you have to cancel a CPNE date, the request must be made in writing and submitted via message center to CPNE-Inquiry.
- You are permitted to decline, cancel, or postpone 2 CPNE dates using the same CPNE application. If necessary to cancel a third CPNE date, the application will be closed and you will receive a tuition refund less any late/administrative fees.
Administrative Fees Associated with Declining, Cancelling, Postponing, or Rescheduling CPNE Date
NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE CPNE
45 calendar days or more
30–44 calendar days
21–29 calendar days
14–20 calendar days
0–13 calendar days
Equivalent to entire CPNE tuition
First declination of a CPNE date does not incur a fee.
Test Preparation Advisory
Preparation for Excelsior College® Examinations, though based on independent study, is supported by Excelsior College with a comprehensive set of exam learning resources and services designed to help you succeed.
These learning resources are prepared by Excelsior College so you can be assured that they are current and cover the content you are expected to master for the exams. These resources, and your desire to learn, are usually all that you will need to succeed.
There are test-preparation companies that will offer to help you study for our examinations. Some may imply a relationship with Excelsior College and/or make claims that their products and services are all that you need to prepare for our examinations.
Excelsior College is not affiliated with any test preparation firm and does not endorse the products or services of these companies. No test preparation vendor is authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising services, or to collect any payments, on behalf of Excelsior College. Excelsior College does not send authorized representatives to a student's home.
Depending upon your individual learning style and needs, you may consider using the services and products of a test preparation vendor to help you prepare for an Excelsior College Examination. Some students have found such materials beneficial while others have not. The decision to purchase the services and products of any of these vendors is entirely up to you.
Excelsior College does not review the materials provided by test preparation companies for content or compatibility with Excelsior College Examinations.
To help you become a well-informed consumer we suggest that you consider the following before making any purchase decision regarding study materials provided by organizations other than Excelsior College.
Does the company:
- Clearly articulate that it is an independent business enterprise, separate from Excelsior College, and that it is not a degree granting institution?
- Clearly inform you that the products and services it provides have not been reviewed, nor are they endorsed, by Excelsior College?
- Openly indicate that it is not an agent of Excelsior College, that it is not authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising regarding Excelsior's degree requirements, and that all its costs and fees are separate from those you will pay to the College?
- Have a record of unresolved complaints/disputes with consumer protection agencies, nursing boards, attorneys general offices, or other similar organizations?
- Require clients to commit to long-term, binding contracts to access its products and services?
- Provide data to substantiate the satisfaction of its clients with its products and services?