School of Nursing: CPNE®
CPNE® Eligibility Requirements
Successful completion of the Nursing Theory series and the Focused Clinical Competencies Assessment (FCCA®) is required of students enrolled in the Associate Degree in nursing programs. There are eligibility requirements for the CPNE and FCCA.
The Excelsior College Examinations (ECEs) in Nursing Theory exams serve as the primary method of documenting the required theoretical knowledge in the program's nursing component. They assess essential knowledge of medical, surgical, maternity, pediatric, and psychiatric nursing as integrated with knowledge related to growth and development, nutrition and pharmacology, ethical and legal issues, and sciences.
There are two options to fulfill the Nursing Theory requirements: courses and exams. Each nursing theory content area must be passed before taking the FCCA and CPNE.
One option is to enroll in and complete nursing theory courses.
The other option is to take a nursing theory exam:
- Essentials of Nursing Care: Health Differences
- Essentials of Nursing Care: Health Safety
- Foundations in Nursing Practice
- Health Differences Across the Life Span 1
- Health Differences Across the Life Span 2
- Health Differences Across the Life Span 3
- Reproductive Health
- Transition to the Professional Nurse Role
*Note: You are exempt from taking Essentials of Nursing Care: Health Differences if you meet the following two conditions: You successfully passed the NCLEX-PN exam within five years of enrollment and you have not failed the Essentials of Nursing Care: Health Differences, Nursing Concepts 2, or Commonalities in Nursing Care Area B examination.
Get free content guides, registration information and practice exam details:
To be eligible for the FCCA you will need to complete the Nursing Theory series and be within 10 General Education credits of completing your degree. The FCCA is graded as Pass/Fail and is worth four credits when passed.
This online, simulated clinical assessment provides a means for students to demonstrate competencies related to the following two essential elements of nursing practice:
- Head-to-toe assessment and nursing process
- Managing Multiple Patients/Working with Interdisciplinary Teams
You may take the sections in any order.
Note: You will be contacted about registration when you become eligible for the FCCA.
Test Preparation Advisory
Preparation for Excelsior College® Examinations, though based on independent study, is supported by Excelsior College with a comprehensive set of exam learning resources and services designed to help you succeed.
These learning resources are prepared by Excelsior College so you can be assured that they are current and cover the content you are expected to master for the exams. These resources, and your desire to learn, are usually all that you will need to succeed.
There are test-preparation companies that will offer to help you study for our examinations. Some may imply a relationship with Excelsior College and/or make claims that their products and services are all that you need to prepare for our examinations.
Excelsior College is not affiliated with any test preparation firm and does not endorse the products or services of these companies. No test preparation vendor is authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising services, or to collect any payments, on behalf of Excelsior College. Excelsior College does not send authorized representatives to a student’s home.
Depending upon your individual learning style and needs, you may consider using the services and products of a test preparation vendor to help you prepare for an Excelsior College Examination. Some students have found such materials beneficial while others have not. The decision to purchase the services and products of any of these vendors is entirely up to you.
Excelsior College does not review the materials provided by test preparation companies for content or compatibility with Excelsior College Examinations.
To help you become a well-informed consumer we suggest that you consider the following before making any purchase decision regarding study materials provided by organizations other than Excelsior College.
Does the company:
- Clearly articulate that it is an independent business enterprise, separate from Excelsior College, and that it is not a degree granting institution?
- Clearly inform you that the products and services it provides have not been reviewed, nor are they endorsed, by Excelsior College?
- Openly indicate that it is not an agent of Excelsior College, that it is not authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising regarding Excelsior's degree requirements, and that all its costs and fees are separate from those you will pay to the College?
- Have a record of unresolved complaints/disputes with consumer protection agencies, nursing boards, attorneys general offices, or other similar organizations?
- Require clients to commit to long-term, binding contracts to access its products and services?
- Provide data to substantiate the satisfaction of its clients with its products and services?