School of Nursing: CPNE®
CPNE® Learning Resources
The Excelsior College website contains all the information concerning the available resources needed to support CPNE® eligible students study and practice for successful completion of the CPNE®. CPNE® eligible students may access the most current resources available electronically and/or via telephone as listed below.
Enter the CPNE Portal to access these resources.
The CPNE® Study Guide is sent to students on CD when CPNE® eligibility requirements are met. Access to the CPNE® Study Guide is also available on the web, which is in PDF format.
- Online conferences. Online conferences are offered to assist students preparing for the CPNE®
- Workshop. Focuses on the skills the student performs during the CPNE®. The workshop provides an opportunity for live practice with nursing faculty.
- Study Materials. Prepare for the CPNE® utilizing the CPNE® Preparation DVD and interactive workbook, flash cards, and practice skill kit.
Offered at no additional cost to CPNE® eligible students
Students can email questions about the CPNE® content and process to the CPNE® faculty through the MyExcelsior Community message center. Click on "Compose Message" and select CPNE® under "Office" and then "CPNE-AD Programs" from the drop down box.
The Excelsior College Associate Degree Nursing Faculty have developed PCS scenarios to provide you with an opportunity to practice writing a nursing care plan as well as documenting narrative notes for the assigned areas of care indicated on each patient PCS Assignment Kardex.
To schedule an individual telephone appointment with a nursing faculty call the AD Nursing Office at 888-647-2388 (ext. 1314 or 1316).
A listing of the current required and additional textbooks can be found at the Excelsior College bookstore. You may order any of these books directly from MBS Direct Book Store.
Using the textbooks you purchased to prepare for the theory examinations, review theory and principles which will support your successful performance of the critical elements for the CPNE® in the PCS and Nursing Skills Laboratory components. Making sound nursing judgment and clinical decisions to apply the nursing process in the CPNE® will require that you practice from a current knowledge base. Textbooks published more than five years ago may not contain the most current practice and standards of care information. Although it is not necessary to purchase multiple copies of textbooks covering the same content, you should arrange for access to a wide variety of recent and/or current resources as needed.
Organize your books and resources into a personal library. As you prepare for the CPNE®, the minimum required and recommended references in your personal library should include content in the following areas:
- Fundamentals in Nursing
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Maternal-Child Nursing textbooks
- Nursing Diagnosis pocket-sized book
- Nursing Drug Guide
- Medical Dictionary
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Drug Calculations
You may have already obtained some of the above textbook resources as you prepared for your theory exams. To view and order the most current editions of the required and recommended textbook resources for the CPNE® can be found at the Excelsior College Bookstore.
Other destinations students may want to visit include
Complete fee schedule for Undergraduate Programs including CPNE® is listed here.
Access library resources and librarian assistance.
Interact academically and socially with fellow students.
Students can participate in nursing discussion boards and access PCS Scenarios for practice.
For additional assistance or information on any of the following learning resources, including dates and locations offered, call the LEARN office at 1-888-647-2388 ext 314 or 1316.
Test Preparation Advisory
Preparation for Excelsior College® Examinations, though based on independent study, is supported by Excelsior College with a comprehensive set of exam learning resources and services designed to help you succeed.
These learning resources are prepared by Excelsior College so you can be assured that they are current and cover the content you are expected to master for the exams. These resources, and your desire to learn, are usually all that you will need to succeed.
There are test-preparation companies that will offer to help you study for our examinations. Some may imply a relationship with Excelsior College and/or make claims that their products and services are all that you need to prepare for our examinations.
Excelsior College is not affiliated with any test preparation firm and does not endorse the products or services of these companies. No test preparation vendor is authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising services, or to collect any payments, on behalf of Excelsior College. Excelsior College does not send authorized representatives to a student’s home.
Depending upon your individual learning style and needs, you may consider using the services and products of a test preparation vendor to help you prepare for an Excelsior College Examination. Some students have found such materials beneficial while others have not. The decision to purchase the services and products of any of these vendors is entirely up to you.
Excelsior College does not review the materials provided by test preparation companies for content or compatibility with Excelsior College Examinations.
To help you become a well-informed consumer we suggest that you consider the following before making any purchase decision regarding study materials provided by organizations other than Excelsior College.
Does the company:
- Clearly articulate that it is an independent business enterprise, separate from Excelsior College, and that it is not a degree granting institution?
- Clearly inform you that the products and services it provides have not been reviewed, nor are they endorsed, by Excelsior College?
- Openly indicate that it is not an agent of Excelsior College, that it is not authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising regarding Excelsior's degree requirements, and that all its costs and fees are separate from those you will pay to the College?
- Have a record of unresolved complaints/disputes with consumer protection agencies, nursing boards, attorneys general offices, or other similar organizations?
- Require clients to commit to long-term, binding contracts to access its products and services?
- Provide data to substantiate the satisfaction of its clients with its products and services?