School of Nursing: CPNE®
What you need to know about the...
Clinical Performance in Nursing Examination (CPNE®)
The Clinical Performance in Nursing Examination (CPNE) is a skill-based assessment designed to measure a student's ability to demonstrate the expected behaviors and skills of a beginning-level associate-prepared nurse. The exam evaluates a student's application of the nursing process and nursing-practice technical components in the care of adults and children who are experiencing potential, actual, and/or recurring health problems requiring maintenance and restorative interventions. Critical thinking, diagnostic reasoning, use of knowledge from nursing and related disciplines, effectiveness of interventions, and standards of care are measured in this exam.
The CPNE provides:
- 1:1 evaluation by a master's or doctorly prepared clinical examiner who was trained to administer the examination
- Actual or simulated clinical situations that serve as the basis for the examination
- A carefully controlled and monitored examination experience that ensures a fair and objective assessment of your knowledge and skill
Required for: All students enrolled in the Excelsior College associate degree in nursing program.
Critical elements are single, discrete, observable behaviors you must perform to meet the standard of acceptability for the Sections (simulation laboratory stations, clinical decision making, planning phase and evaluation phase) or Areas of Care being tested. Review a full outline of the CPNE sections and areas of care covered.
The Planning Phase
The Implementation Phase
Clinical Decision Making (CDM)
Overriding Areas of Care
- Emotional Jeopardy
- Physical Jeopardy
Required Areas of Care
- Fluid Management
- Vital Signs
Selected Areas of Care
- Abdominal Assessment
- Comfort Management
- Drainage and Specimen Collection
- Enteral Feeding
- Musculoskeletal Management
- Neurological Assessment
- Oxygen Management
- Pain Management
- Patient Teaching
- Peripheral Neurovascular Assessment
- Respiratory Assessment
- Respiratory Management
- Skin Assessment
- Wound Management
- Wound Management
- Intravenous Medications
- Injectable Medications: IV Push
- Injectable Medications: IM/SubQ
Test Preparation Advisory
Preparation for Excelsior College® Examinations, though based on independent study, is supported by Excelsior College with a comprehensive set of exam learning resources and services designed to help you succeed.
These learning resources are prepared by Excelsior College so you can be assured that they are current and cover the content you are expected to master for the exams. These resources, and your desire to learn, are usually all that you will need to succeed.
There are test-preparation companies that will offer to help you study for our examinations. Some may imply a relationship with Excelsior College and/or make claims that their products and services are all that you need to prepare for our examinations.
Excelsior College is not affiliated with any test preparation firm and does not endorse the products or services of these companies. No test preparation vendor is authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising services, or to collect any payments, on behalf of Excelsior College. Excelsior College does not send authorized representatives to a student’s home.
Depending upon your individual learning style and needs, you may consider using the services and products of a test preparation vendor to help you prepare for an Excelsior College Examination. Some students have found such materials beneficial while others have not. The decision to purchase the services and products of any of these vendors is entirely up to you.
Excelsior College does not review the materials provided by test preparation companies for content or compatibility with Excelsior College Examinations.
To help you become a well-informed consumer we suggest that you consider the following before making any purchase decision regarding study materials provided by organizations other than Excelsior College.
Does the company:
- Clearly articulate that it is an independent business enterprise, separate from Excelsior College, and that it is not a degree granting institution?
- Clearly inform you that the products and services it provides have not been reviewed, nor are they endorsed, by Excelsior College?
- Openly indicate that it is not an agent of Excelsior College, that it is not authorized to provide admissions counseling or academic advising regarding Excelsior's degree requirements, and that all its costs and fees are separate from those you will pay to the College?
- Have a record of unresolved complaints/disputes with consumer protection agencies, nursing boards, attorneys general offices, or other similar organizations?
- Require clients to commit to long-term, binding contracts to access its products and services?
- Provide data to substantiate the satisfaction of its clients with its products and services?