Statement of Policy
In accordance with New York State Education Department policies governing the awarding of degrees, Excelsior College will award Excelsior College graduates only one degree at each level (associate and baccalaureate degree) in the same academic program. For the purpose of this policy, the academic degree programs are Liberal Arts, Business, Health Sciences, Nursing, Electrical Engineering Technology, Information Technology, Bachelor of Science in Technology and Nuclear Engineering Technology, Accounting (NYS CPA Track), Bachelor of Professional Studies in Business and Management, and Bachelor of Professional Studies in Technology Management. The College, by policy, encourages students to progress to a higher degree whenever possible.
Excelsior College graduates may pursue a second undergraduate degree from Excelsior College, provided it is in a different academic degree program.
Graduates of other regionally accredited institutions may also earn second degrees at Excelsior College in different degree programs. All credits from advanced degrees (master's or doctorate) may be applied toward the second degree as appropriate. In addition, if a student's first degree is in liberal arts or business, he or she may pursue a second degree in the same program as long as they complete a different area of study (concentration, specialization, program, or major) at Excelsior College.
The following conditions govern the earning of all additional degrees:
- It is the student's responsibility to inform the College of any degree earned at another institution prior to or during enrollment at Excelsior College; this may affect the student's degree status at Excelsior College. The Academic Honesty policy applies to this responsibility.
- Enrollment in a second degree program is contingent upon receipt of official transcript showing conferral of first degree.
- Three-quarters of the total number of credits required for the second degree may be transferred from the prior degree. One quarter of the credits required for the new degree must be earned as new credits, unrelated to the area of study (concentration, specialization, program, or major) of the first degree and not used to meet requirements of the first degree. Students may need to take more than the minimum number of new credits to complete the degree, depending upon the degree requirements.
- Conditions governing the level and subject of the new credit vary from degree to degree.
- Enrollment fees will not be refunded if students do not follow this policy.
There are restrictions on the types and amounts of grants and loans available to students that have already earned a baccalaureate degree or a first professional degree and are pursuing a second degree. Students should refer to the Guide to Federal Student Aid published by the U.S. Department of Education. Second degree students may also wish to consult the Excelsior College Financial Aid Office for further information.