Excelsior College, a private, independently chartered institution, and recognized leader in the field of alternative higher education, seeks applicants for the position of Staff Accountant. The College provides highly flexible and cost effective means for working adults to earn accredited college degrees. A staff of 450+ currently serves approximately 35,000 enrolled students worldwide. The position is located in Albany, NY.
Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant will apply generally accepted accounting principles to ensure proper financial reporting. Responsibilities include:
- Perform routine professional accounting duties.
- Audit and reconcile various accounts.
- Prepare journal transactions, balance accounts, reconcile errors, and take corrective action as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements, including all necessary adjusting entries and supporting schedules.
- Prepare audit schedules in support of external audits.
- Assist in drafting and revision of policies and procedures to maintain strong internal controls.
- Research and respond to College units' inquiries.
- May record federal, state, and private grant activity ensuring compliance with applicable grant regulations and policies.
- Coordinate payables and/or receivables in association with contract compliance.
- Work with investment activities and endowment accounting.
- Assist in preparation of various tax forms, including Form 990.
- Perform other related responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting with 1-2 years of professional accounting experience, required.
- Proficiency in GAAP and financial reporting.
- Detail oriented and possess strong problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in Microsoft® office, particularly Excel® (including Pivot Tables and Lookups) and verifiable financial analysis experience.
- Possess strong writing and communication skills.
- The preferred candidate will have public accounting or higher education accounting experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics® is also a plus.
Please Note: There is a known issue with the online submission and Internet Explorer 11. The online submission will work with another browser or if you put Internet Explorer into Compatibility View before clicking on the online link.
To do this, click on Tools then place a checkmark next to Compatibility View. If the Tools menu is not showing, click the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menu.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Staff Accountant Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.
Open Positions at Excelsior College