Learning Portfolio Assessment
College Credit for What You Already Know
You could save time and money working toward your degree—even if you are not currently enrolled at Excelsior College—by preparing a Learning Portfolio that documents your prior learning from specific work and life experiences.
Benefits of a Learning Portfolio:
- Faster time to degree completion
- Cost effective
- Degree completion at higher rates than for students without portfolio credit
How It Works
Learning Portfolios are offered by Excelsior College in partnership with the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) through LearningCounts.orgTM. The online Learning Portfolio you'll build will match your knowledge and expertise to a college course. The credits you earn may be directly applied to your Excelsior College degree, the OneTranscript® service, or a Preliminary Review.
Potential sources of credit include:
- Professional work experiences
- Non-credit classes
- Training courses
- Professional skills workshops
Please note that it is the learning from these sources (and not merely experience) which is assessed for potential college credit.
Get Started with Learning Portfolio
All the details are on our Portfolio Assessment policy page, but here's a quick overview:
For Enrolled Students
- Call 888-647-2388 and talk to your Excelsior academic advisor first—you need their approval to proceed with Learning Portfolio.
- After advisor approval, take and pass Excelsior's online course CCS 202: Prior Learning Assessment Theory and Practice.
- Upon completion of the course, talk to your Excelsior academic advisor to receive advisor approval for the credits being pursued through learning portfolio assessment.
- Work through LearningCounts.org to begin to develop and then submit your Learning Portfolio.
- LearningCounts.org assesses your work and recommends credits accordingly.
- Request an official LearningCounts.org/NCCRS transcript to be mailed to us to have the credits evaluated toward your degree plan.
For Future Students
- Call Excelsior's Admissions Office at 888-647-2388 ext. 21. If you enroll in an Excelsior degree program first, an Excelsior academic advisor will work with you to make sure learning portfolio assessment is an appropriate option for your degree plan.
- You can take advantage of learning portfolio assessment through LearningCounts.org without being enrolled in Excelsior College.
- To prepare for the Learning Portfolio, first take Excelsior's online course CCS 202: Prior Learning Assessment Theory and Practice.
- After you complete a Learning Portfolio through LearningCounts.org, request an official LearningCounts.org/NCCRS transcript to be mailed to us.
- Recommended credit may be applied to your Excelsior College file upon enrollment, our OneTranscript® service, or a Preliminary Review.
See if Learning Portfolio is Right for You
Talk it over with your academic advisor:
Call our admissions office: