Veterans Center Director
Excelsior College is seeking applicants for the position of Veteran's Center Director. The Veteran's Center Director is responsible for planning, managing, coordinating marketing, and promoting outreach activities. This position is also responsible for further development of resources and services to increase awareness of the Excelsior College Online Veteran's Center. The position requires a strong commitment to non-traditional higher education for adults and specifically for veterans, the ability to represent Excelsior College within the wide academic and military/veteran community, and the ability to work independently and in a collaborative manner with all levels of professional and support staff. Travel is required.
Working in cooperation with the Director of Veteran Services and Outreach and reporting to the Executive Director, Center for Military Education, the Veteran's Center Director will:
- Develop and promote services available to veterans.
- Promote increased use of veteran benefits.
- Enhance communication to veterans and related organizations.
- Serve as an advocate for veterans issues.
- Work toward unit and College strategic planning goals related to the veteran's center.
This position will serve as an integral member of Excelsior's Center for Military Education Office.
- Promote and increase the use of the Veteran's Center by conducting strategic marketing and outreach activities.
- Participate in conferences.
- Develop a strategic outreach and conduct outreach activities for the internal promotion of the Veterans Center in collaboration with:
- Center for Military Education
- Enrollment management
- Financial aid
- Career services
- Center for Professional Development
- Center for Educational Measurement
- Schools of business and technology, liberal arts, nursing, and health sciences
- Maintain current knowledge of rules and regulations pertaining to veterans' benefits, programs, resources, and opportunities.
- Participate in veteran and military professional organizations.
- Improve and execute veteran academic and professional interaction in the veterans center through social media to inform and engage student veterans on education, career, veteran related services, and events.
- Develop and distribute promotional materials for external use and for staff and faculty on special issues for veterans.
- Responsible for the maintenance, further development, and enhancement of the veterans center.
- Manage veteran resources offered through the center and search for new resource opportunities.
- At the request of the executive director, center for military education, represent the center at military meetings (external and internal), attend conferences, and conduct presentations at military installations and veteran organizations nationwide.
- Work toward unit and College strategic planning goals and military/veteran enrollment and course goals.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is required. Previous experience (minimum 2-3 years) in veterans’ education, veteran’s affairs, military education, or program management preferred. Experience must include a background of being a military veteran of the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, involvement in the management, implementation of services, mentorship and social interaction of an online or traditional veterans’ center. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong skills for:
- Program management
- Analyzing and problem solving
- Ability to:
- Motivate, inspire, lead, and manage others
- Take on work beyond basic responsibilities
- Work with diverse populations
- Manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Review and prepare accurate, detailed documents
- Master a wide body of factual information with a high degree of accuracy and detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated integrity and trustworthiness, while setting high standards, clear objectives, and drive for results.
- Knowledge of learning theory and training strategies.
- Excellent organizational and decision making skills.
- Proficient computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online, or by mail:
Human Resources Office
Veteran's Center Director Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.