Details About What Color is Your Stethoscope?
Presented by Excelsior College Career Services on June 5, 2008, this Web conference focused on key areas of nursing career planning.
- Conduct a continuous self-assessment and career exploration to meet the evolving needs of the nursing profession and health care industry.
- Develop a career action plan that helps place you in a proactive vs. reactive role regarding your career.
- Market your education, skills, and experience – through resumes, cover letters, and interviewing techniques - in a way that maximizes your potential for entry into the field, career advancements, and transitions within the nursing field.
- Prepare for the culture of nursing – and for experienced professionals, to serve in the role of mentor for new professionals as a way of orienting them to the culture of nursing.
- Utilize professional development as a means of lifelong learning, and to help transition from a “nursing job” to a “nursing profession.”
- Develop strategies to prevent burnout, and to keep you energized in your profession.
The following resources were offered at the conclusion of the Webinar:
- Sample Nursing Cover Letter (PDF)
- Sample Nursing Resume (PDF)
- List of Online Nursing Career Resources (PDF)
Patti currently teaches online courses in the RN-BSN program at Excelsior College. Through her work as an adjunct clinical instructor in the ADN program, Patti is able to fulfill three important life goals – to maintain currency in practice, to be a patient advocate, and to contribute to the future of the nursing profession through teaching. She earned a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Long Island University, and a master’s degree as a clinical nurse specialist in parent child nursing from Russell Sage College. As a committed lifelong learner, she has recently enrolled as a full-time doctoral student at the Sage Colleges. Patti is a member of the New York State Nurses Association (District 9), the National League of Nursing, the Global Health Council, and the Medical Reserve Corps. of Rensselaer County.
Mary Lee Pollard
Mary Lee, associate dean of the Excelsior College School of Nursing, is responsible for all aspects of the associate degree program. Her clinical interests are in adult medical-surgical nursing and critical care; her research interests are in student retention. Mary Lee earned a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Syracuse University and a PhD in Educational Theory and Practice from the University at Albany. She has worked in a variety of medical-surgical positions at Ellis Hospital in Schenectady, New York and also served as assistant instructor and director at their school of nursing. Mary Lee is a board member of the Schenectady Free Clinic, secretary of the New York State Council of Associate Degree Nursing, and secretary and steering committee member of the Capital District Nurses Research Alliance.
Ed is a career and human resource consultant and serves as the career services consultant for Excelsior College alumni. He has extensive experience providing professional career counseling and planning services to a diverse group of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as adult learners from a variety of cultures and backgrounds. In addition, Ed has 15 years of experience as a human resources generalist in both public education and the private sector. He earned a bachelor’s degree in Education from the State University of New York at Cortland, and a master’s degree in Community Psychology from Sage Graduate School. Ed is an active member of the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the National Career Development Association, and the Society for Human Resource Management.
Maribeth Gunner Pulliam
Maribeth is a senior academic advisor and career resource coordinator for the the School of Liberal Arts at Excelsior College. She advises students, assisting them with all aspects of academic and career planning. Maribeth also coordinates and oversees the online career resources and services for undergraduate students and writes articles on various career topics for the “Career Corner,” featured in the College’s Live & Learn magazine. She has 22 years of experience in higher education, including six years as academic advisor for the School of Nursing at Excelsior College. Maribeth earned both a bachelor’s degree in Sociology and master’s degree in Education from the College of St. Rose in Albany, New York. She is an active member of the National Association of Colleges and Employers and the National Academic Advising Association.
Free for Enrolled Students
The Excelsior College Career Center is pleased to offer EC JobLinks; a FREE online job search database and resume building tool. Available 24/7/365, enrolled students can access thousands of national and international jobs postings and apply in real time.