New Bachelor of Science in Military Studies Offered by Excelsior College
12/17/12 1:39 PM
Source: Press Release
Albany, New York (December 17, 2012) – Excelsior College, a private nonprofit distance learning institution in Albany, New York, today announced a new Bachelor of Science in Military Studies degree geared toward active-duty personnel and veterans. Excelsior, which has a four-decade long history of serving the military community, currently counts more than 14,000 active duty or veterans among its 37,000 enrolled students.
The new Military Studies degree program will expose students to relevant theories of leadership and their application to military operations. The program challenges students’ ability to identify tactical and strategic leadership qualities.
“The BS in Military Studies will explore the application of military knowledge within the global geopolitical environment and challenge students to think critically, improve decision-making and become agile and adaptive leaders,” said Dr. Scott Dalrymple, dean of Excelsior College’s School of Liberal Arts.
As with all of Excelsior’s bachelor’s programs, students will need to complete 120 degree credits. The core requirements for the major include courses in military history, world politics, international relations, leadership, contemporary tactics, and an advanced capstone course.
Students select an area of emphasis with the help of an academic advisor. Choices include Military History and Politics, Organizational Culture, Foreign Language and Culture, and National Security Analysis.
"We expect this major to be popular with those who are serving or have served in the military," says Dalrymple, "largely because 50% of the major can be satisfied by college-level coursework taken through military training programs. It is possible that many military students may have already met a significant amount of the requirements for this major before they enroll at Excelsior."
Excelsior’s military credentials include:
- Military Advanced Education has recognized Excelsior as one of the top 20 colleges serving the U.S. military five years in a row.
- G.I. Jobs has named Excelsior a top military-friendly school the past four years.
- Excelsior's course, "Success Strategies for Military and Veterans" earned the 2010-2011 Innovation Award from the Center for Transforming Student Services (CENTSS). The course provides college and career orientation to veterans and military members and teaches transition strategies for those entering the civilian workforce after a military career.
- Excelsior is a recipient of the Council of College and Military Educators' (CCME) Institutional Award.
- Excelsior's military academic advising team includes veterans who are uniquely attuned to the unique needs of military students, veterans and their spouses.
- CME Executive Director Susan Dewan is the recipient of the 2011 William E. Kennedy Award from the Council of College and Military Educators (CCME), which recognizes leadership in providing higher education programs to personnel at U.S. military installations.
- Excelsior President Ebersole is a U.S. Coast Guard veteran who served in Vietnam and received the Secretary of the Army Public Service Award in 2010 for his leadership in contributing to the Army's educational mission.
Students interested in pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Military Studies degree, may call Excelsior College Admissions at 888-647-2388 Ext. 22.