College of the American Soldier (CAS)
Enlisted Education Program (EEP)
CAS is a partnership of education and training between the Army and Excelsior College.
This voluntary program provides Soldiers in Combat Arms MOSs an opportunity to achieve an Associate degree during a Soldier's first term of enlistment. It will reinforce training and provide theoretical structure to a Soldier's experience while in the Army. The program allows for maximum award of college credits for completion of military schools and MOSs.
Provided through our College of the American Soldier Enlisted Education Program enrollment option this program offers:
- Maximum credit awarded for Army training to include Basic Training, AIT, SSD1, Warrior Leader Course, Combat Arms MOSs at Skill Levels 10 and 20, Army MOSs at all skill levels, as well as previously earned college credit and credit by exam.
- All fees waived - NO administrative, enrollment, annual or graduation fees.
- Course tuition at $250 per semester credit, paid by Army Tuition Assistance.
- Minimum academic residency requirements - fulfilled through online courses.
- Road map for each degree plan with a four year timeline to degree completion.
- Customized Excelsior College 2-credit courses for Army Soldiers only (active duty, National Guard, and Reservists in GoArmyEd) are media-rich and developed with new instructional design technologies:
- BUS 200 Applied Management I
- BUS 201 Applied Management II
- COMM 131 Business and Professional Communication
- COMM 132 Strategic Communication
- HIS 131 Intro to Military History
- MIL 131 Military Science I: Application of Contemporary Tactics
- MIL 132 Military Science II
- POL 131 World Politics
- PSY 131 Introduction to Health Psychology
It takes 60 credits to earn your Associate degree. But you can get a head start through your regular Army training which accounts for close to half of the degree program. Excelsior College will award credit as follows:
- 5 credits for Basic Combat Training.
- 9 credits for the Army SSD1 training course (Army Writing Style, Casualty Assistance, Impacts of War, etc.).
- 18 credits through the 1 + 2 Concept - Earn 1 credit for selected groups of training support packages in SSD1. Then, follow up with a customized Excelsior College course, earning an additional 2 Credits.
- 4-11 credits for Army Combat Arms Moss depending on your career field.
- 3 credits for Warrior Leader Course.
- 3 credits from Excelsior College's Success Strategies course for the Military.
- Additional credits to fulfill degree requirements through online or CD-ROM Excelsior College courses, Excelsior College® Examinations, CLEP® or DSST® exams or other accredited colleges and universities.
- Visit GoArmyEd.com and choose Excelsior College as your home institution.
- Army Soldiers (Active Duty and Reserve) must register and obtain TA authorization through the GoArmyEd portal.
- Register for Excelsior College courses and complete a minimum number of credits at Excelsior College.
Find details about other education programs for Army through Excelsior College on our Army page.