Scheduling Study Sessions
Review your time-use chart (PDF) to determine what time periods during the week will be best for study. Try to locate about 12 hours of uncommitted time per week per examination or course, especially if the content is unfamiliar.
The following table provides suggestions for scheduling study sessions.
Tips for Scheduling Study Sessions
| || |
Your Long-Term Study Schedule
When you decide on your most suitable study periods during the week, you are ready to set up a complete, long-term personal study schedule. Consult your course syllabus or examination study guide for guidance.
Your long-term study schedule should include the following:
- Time to locate and obtain suggested reading material.
- A two-week examination review/self-testing period immediately prior to the examination.
- A study goal for each study session. Use your syllabus or study guide to identify objectives and content and plan specific reading assignments based on the content you must master. Try to provide a specific date(s) to study each assignment.
- Some free study time in case you need to do extra studying on a particularly difficult assignment.
After Your Plan is Created: Some Tips for Successful Study
The key to time management is to be in control. Here are some tips to make the most of your study time:
- Post your schedule where other members of your household can see it. Highlight your study times so others don’t try to lure you away from your study session.
- Study difficult subjects first. They will require the most concentration so study them when you’re fresh.
- Use waiting time. When you are stuck in traffic, use that time to reflect on your reading or listen to relevant audiotapes of key concepts to review information.
- Use a regular study area. Studying in front of the television or in bed are bad ideas. Use a desk, table, or library for your study location.
- Don’t answer the phone when you study. Either use the answering machine, turn the phone off, or tell callers you are unable to talk.
- Stick to your study schedule!