distance learning · financial aid basics · disability services · sample course
VA qualification · financial aid details · chat with an advisor · military partners
become an Excelsior student · apply to Excelsior · enroll · register for courses
career center · EC Joblinks · center for professional development · webinars
Preparing for your mission
Welcome to college orientation, Excelsior College style! We created this section to help you make sense of the many options for you as a Veteran - and to provide a clear pathway to your post-military education success. The orientation is presented in four sections: Basics, Benefits, Become and Beyond:
- Basics. This section contains important information about distance learning, financial aid basics, disability services, and let's you experience a sample online college course.
- Benefits. Once you you have a handle on the basics, it's time to go into details. Learn about VA qualification, Excelsior's military partners, and specifics details about our financial aid for Vets. Have a question? Chat live with an online advisor.
- Become. Ready to get rolling? Find out how to become an Excelsior student: apply to Excelsior College, enroll, and register for courses.
- Beyond. Excelsior not only helps you get your degree, but also provides services and resources for your career. Learn about our Career Center, EC Joblinks, the Center for Professional Development, and our excellent webinars.
You can move through these sections in sequential order or use the purple arrows at the top of each page to navigate. If you are new to higher education or online learning, we recommend following the arrows in order.
Why is Excelsior College the right choice for Veterans?
We accept more credits: for military training, exams, and courses from other colleges and universities, and even life experience. We give you options for finishing your degree - from online courses to earning credit by examination - all available at a distance. We help you chart your course with dedicated military academic advisors and consultants. And we help you save money in the process. Learn more below.
Credit or non-credit, degree programs, certificates or certifications, Excelsior College provides you with a wealth of choices to meet your objectives:
- Excelsior College Courses. With over 400 courses in 30 degree and certificate programs— including criminal justice and homeland security— Excelsior College courses cover the gamut of academic disciplines. The School of Business and Technology also offers select courses on CD-ROM, enabling you to fit them into your schedule.
- Excelsior College® Examinations. Show what you know and earn credit for it. Excelsior College Examinations allow you to study at your own pace; then, when you're ready, you can take the exam at your nearest Pearson Vue Testing Center.
- Center for Professional Development (CPD). With over 50 programs that are VA approved and eligible for using VA benefits, including the Post-9/11 GI Bill, CPD programs provide cutting-edge comprehensive knowledge and skills for a new career or to enhance your current career.
- Success Strategies for Military and Veterans course. Provides college orientation to veteran and military members on college success, and teaches transitional career strategies for those entering the civilian workforce or continuing with a military career. This eight week online 3-credit course helps veterans make informed decisions about their future through the creation of an education plan and career action plan.
Few colleges help veterans pay for college in the way Excelsior College does. First and foremost, because we accept more of your credits, you have fewer left to earn. That not only generates major savings, but helps you complete your degree more quickly.
In addition, a broad range of financial aid programs make Excelsior College eminently affordable for those who have served:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Montgomery GI Bill—Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill—Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Reserves Educational Assistance Program (REAP—Chapter 1607)
- Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP—Chapter 32)
- Old GI Bill (Chapter 34-noncontributory, converted to Chapter 30)
- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
We connect you with Veteran Education Partnerships which support the educational needs of members and employees of veteran associations and veteran-friendly employers. Partnerships provide reduced tuition and fee pricing for veterans, spouses or domestic partners, members, and employees.
You'll find detailed options about financial aid at Excelsior College in the Benefits section of the college orientation pages.
Excelsior College has been serving the educational needs of Veterans and Service Members since 1971. We've been around the block - and we know a thing or two about educational excellence. The facts speak for themselves:
- G.I. Jobs has named Excelsior a top military-friendly school the past five years and Military Advanced Education has recognized Excelsior College the past five years. For the fourth year in a row Excelsior College has been named a "Best for Vets" college by Military Times Edge magazine. For the first time, Excelsior College is one of the top five colleges named as a "Best for Vets" Business School for 2013.
- Excelsior's course, "Success Strategies for Military and Veterans" earned the 2010-2011 Innovation Award from the Center for Transforming Student Services (CENTSS). The course provides college and career orientation to veterans and military members and teaches transition strategies for those entering the civilian workforce after a military career.
- Excelsior is a recipient of the Council of College and Military Educators' (CCME) Institutional Award.
- Excelsior's military academic advising team includes veterans who are uniquely attuned to the particular needs of military students, veterans, and their spouses.
- Center for Military Education (CME) Executive Director Susan Dewan is the recipient of the 2011 William E. Kennedy Award from the Council of College and Military Educators (CCME), which recognizes leadership in providing higher education programs to personnel at U.S. military installations.
- Excelsior President Ebersole is a U.S. Coast Guard veteran who served in Vietnam and received the Secretary of the Army Public Service Award in 2010 for his leadership in contributing to the Army's educational mission.
"When life presents you with a challenge; you can either run away or deal with it. What you decide, it defines you as a person."