College Orientation: Benefits
Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP - Chapter 32)
VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. You may use these benefits for degree, certificate, correspondence, apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs, and vocational flight training programs. In certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher training may also be available.
To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:
- Entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985;
- Opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987;
- Voluntarily contributed from $25 to $2700;
- Completed your first period of service; and
- Were discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable.
- If you are currently on active duty and wish to receive VEAP benefits, you must have at least 3 months of contributions available.
Contributions may be withdrawn if you do not meet the basic eligibility requirements or if you formally request a refund of the contributions withheld.
Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. You may use these benefits for degree, certificate, correspondence, apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs, and vocational flight training programs. In certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher training may also be available.
Applying for your VA Benefits
There, you will find the "Road Map for Success":
- Step 1: Determine your best Benefit
- Step 2: Collect Your Paperwork and Information
- Step 3: Choosing a School
- Step 4: Compare the Programs
- Step 5: Apply
NOTE: Whether you choose to apply online or by sending a paper application through the mail, we recommend following the Road Map above. In addition to the steps outlined above, you will also need to submit some paperwork to Excelsior College.
Paperwork required by Excelsior College
- If you did not already indicate that you have this benefit during the admissions process, please complete the Letter of Intent linked below and provide it to Excelsior College's financial aid office.
- Letter of Intention and Instructions - Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits (PDF)
Financial aid counselor for veterans
Application, degree planning, or enrollment assistance
Toll free: 888-647-2388, ext. 1352
Veteran Services and Outreach at Excelsior:
Veterans Services and Outreach
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, NY 12203-5159