Positive Self Talk
As I got into work I received a message from one of my coworkers, and it was something that I didn’t even know I needed but it made my day, positive self-talk.
According to dictionary.com, the definition of positive self is the act or practice of talking to oneself, either aloud or silently and mentally. Now, I know some may think, “why would I ever want to do that” or “that sounds funny”. Positive self-talk does take some getting used to, but it has so many helpful rewards tied to it. According to examined existence, positive self- talk helps with the following:
- Your confidence – be your own hype man/woman: reflect on the all the things you are great at!
- Saves you from depression – turn your perspective the other way: saying statements that start with “I can do this…..”
- Eliminates stress – it makes you feel calmer and less anxious.
- Shields your heart – Supporting this claim is a study conducted by Susanne Pedersen, a researcher from Tillburg University, Netherlands. In her research, results show that those who have positive outlooks in life demonstrated lower risks for mortality – at least in the next five years.
- Improve your performance – have you ever watched athletes before a game, when they may chant positive words to get them pumped up for a game? That’s you getting pumped up for your success in the day.
We as human beings undergo so many trials and tribulations that it may be easier for us to reflect on what we didn’t get to or succeed in, but instead let’s reflect on how far we come and how well we did. Today start connecting with yourself by saying the follow:
- I can do this!
- I am great!
- I am awesome!
- I was created for a purpose! – love this one
- I am going to have a great day, because I can control my perspective on life!
I always love a good challenge……So here it is…….I challenge you to start with one saying, one thing that you know is true and positive about you and say it to yourself! Mine for today is, You are impeccable!
Your turn……Leave your statements below…..