Academic Advisor-Military & Veteran
July 1, 2021
- Cultivate strong working partnerships with assigned military and veteran students; approach them as individual stories requiring personalized time and attention
- Customize support through the delivery method(s) most helpful to each student, including but not limited to video conference, text messaging, chat, phone, e-mail
- Assist military and veteran students in assessing goals and objectives; help them to develop an educational plan for successful completion of degree or certificate
- Guide military and veteran students in course/exam selection and scheduling; assist in resolving academic problems; identify and monitor academic progress
- Conduct proactive outreach to military and veteran students who are exhibiting behaviors that put them at risk for academic failure or drop out; provide coaching to assess the challenges behind the at-risk behaviors and identify a plan for remediation and follow up; provide moral support and confidence-building assistance
- Provide overview of VA Benefit Programs; ensure veteran students understand how to maximize their benefits for enrollment and course tuition
- Assess appropriate courses of action consistent with the individual student’s goals and circumstances; serve as the introductory conduit—and ensure seamless hand offs—between military and veteran students and College support resources including but not limited to Accessibility Services, Career Services, student assistance program, Financial Aid, and Writing Center
- Assist in the development and coordination of military and veteran student programming and events including but not limited to recruitment events, orientation modules, success- and support-related webinars, engagement activities.
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university in academic advising, counseling, higher education, student affairs, or related field.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in college-level student services/student support; experience working with military and veteran students preferred; online advising and veteran of military service preferred.
- Solid understanding of the characteristics and challenges of mil/vet learners.
- Strong interpersonal skills and relationship building; genuine passion for helping people to better themselves through education; coaching for success mindset.
- Ability to interpret/communicate (orally and in writing) complex processes and policies clearly, in a manner easy to understand and befitting an institution of higher education.
- Strong analytical, judgment, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to keenly assess and anticipate student needs, providing proactive (not reactive) service.
- Ability to work accurately, efficiently, and to successfully balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-608-8270.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information by clicking the Apply Now button on this page.
Excelsior College is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to any legally protected characteristic.Apply Now View All Jobs