Albany, NY | Remote |
The instructional designer will be a member of the design team in the Instructional Design and Development unit at Excelsior University. Our team works closely with subject matter experts and other community and university stakeholders to develop transformative, engaging, high-quality learning experiences for our students. As an instructional designer, you will partner with other team members and faculty to develop programs, courses, and other learning pathways that increase access to education. Furthermore, you will participate in research and innovation projects that aim to advance the field of course design, teaching, and learning. We’re looking for a creative thinker that can apply learning theory and design principles to their projects/designs while developing innovative approaches to delivering content.
As an instructional designer, you will partner with other team members and faculty to develop programs, courses, and other learning pathways that increase access to education. Furthermore, you will participate in research and innovation projects that aim to advance the field of course design, teaching, and learning. We’re looking for a creative thinker that can apply learning theory and design principles to their projects/designs while developing innovative approaches to delivering content.
This position is based out of the university’s home office in Albany, NY with the option of considering remote candidates. Remote employees will have mandatory occasional travel for meetings, conferences, and professional development opportunities. Remote employees are expected to be available during work hours 8:30am – 5:00pm Eastern time. The University will supply necessary equipment to perform the essential functions of this job (e.g., laptop, docking station). Employees are responsible for having a workspace where they can participate in virtual meetings without multiple interruptions and noise.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and redesign online courses. While most courses will be in an online format, you are expected to be able to develop other modalities, such as hybrid and hyflex.
- Advise subject matter experts during the course (re)design process to help them select the best combination of teaching practices, learning technologies, and other resources to develop courses and learning objects that create the most effective learning experiences for all students.
- Assist with new faculty onboarding and orientation.
- Collaborate with team members and other Academic Affairs departments to create and facilitate faculty development programs and on-demand resources on teaching, learning, and course design.
- Guide faculty in analyzing and assessing the application of appropriate instructional tools and strategies to accomplish identified learning outcomes.
- Explore new course design strategies and learning technologies to create student-centered learning experiences.
- Develop learning objects that leverage technology to provide flexibility and choice to our students while supporting their learning.
- Remain current with the latest industry technology tools and trends.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university.
- At least one year of prior work experience in instructional design required.
- Prior work experience in higher education required.
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Ability to independently manage multiple, complex projects with the highest degree of accuracy and efficiency.
- Ability to apply adult learning theory and online pedagogical best practices to course development
- Familiarity with universal design for learning (UDL) and accessible technology guidelines, such as WCAG 2.1.
- Experience creating adaptive learning environments and competency based learning.
- Comprehensive knowledge of active learning and inclusive pedagogies.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively manage projects that involve diverse individuals who may be local or at a distance.
- Technical skills appropriate for an instructional design position (e.g., learning management systems, designing for web, authoring tools, basic HTML, Microsoft Office) and willingness to continually learn new applications.
- Ability to troubleshoot basic educational technology issues.
- Documented expertise with learning management systems; Canvas is highly preferred.
- Ability to interpret faculty needs in course maintenance and instructional design.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and project management skills.
- Ability to adapt to change and learn new procedures and software programs.
- Desire to continue learning and developing skills.
- Experience creating and using immersive virtual learning environments (e.g., VR, AR, gamification).
- Familiarity with the use of Open Educational Resources (OER).
- Knowledge of mobile course design.
The hiring salary range for this position is $57,000.00 - $74,000.00. The hiring salary range above represents the University's good faith estimate at the time of posting.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-608-8270.
Excelsior University offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information by clicking the Apply Now button on this page.
Excelsior University is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to any legally protected characteristic.Apply Now View All Jobs