Remote Adjunct Faculty – MPA511: Public Budgeting and Financial Management
January 27, 2023
Albany, NY | Remote |
To teach at Excelsior is to embrace teaching excellence and deliver outstanding instruction to our non-traditional students. Our faculty empower students in gaining knowledge and skills needed to become highly effective leaders in their professions. Faculty embrace diverse ideas, promote critical thinking and solution-finding, and help students challenge their own thinking and form connections between research and practice. They are deeply engaged in teaching and guiding students.
Excelsior’s faculty create a vibrant online learning community through meaningful presence in courses. Our faculty demonstrate commitment to student success by supporting university engagement and retention initiatives, supporting struggling students, and collaborating with their faculty program director and the support staff to ensure students have access to all available services and supports. All public administration instructors must be committed to Excelsior’s mission and CARES Credo and be familiar with university support services.
Excelsior University values students, instructors, employees, and all members of its world-wide community, and actively develops practices and policies that promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Diversity involves recognizing and respecting the richness of ethnic and cultural traditions, and the value of different perspectives related to gender, age, disability, sexual orientation religion, family status, employee tenure, and more. Inclusion is about leveraging these differences and maximizing individual contributions in a way that enhances organizational effectiveness.
At Excelsior, each staff and faculty member contribute to the student experience. Even those of us who may not interact with students are vitally important to creating a positive and successful outcome. The guiding principles, collectively known as Excelsior CARES, shape the environment in which we work and set the standard to which we hold ourselves. Each Excelsior employee is Compassionate, Agile, Respectful, and committed to Excellence and Service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach assigned course as prescribed, making no changes to content or implementation guidelines.
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise through constructive and substantive involvement with student discussions/learning activities and sharing of expertise and experience.
- Challenge students’ own thinking and form connections between theory and practice across disparate areas of knowledge in diverse settings, and among divergent viewpoints.
- Create an effective, engaged, and vibrant online learning community by maintaining a frequent and meaningful online/e-mail presence in courses.
- Adhere to established minimum teaching and engagement expectations, and to all University and School of Graduate Studies policies as outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
- Offer timely formative and summative feedback on student assignments. Set clear academic standards, provide constructive feedback throughout the course, and provoke critical thinking.
- Commit an average of 134-140 hours of work per 3-credit course assigned.
- Provide prompt, substantive, and timely responses to student needs and communications.
- Offer weekly office hours, as well as one-on-one meetings with students as requested or needed.
- Reach out to struggling students and notify Faculty Program Director as needed
- Be familiar with the Canvas learning management system and all support services available to students.
- Demonstrate skill in understanding of cultural differences and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Experience working with individuals from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- An earned masters degree from regionally accredited university and significant professional experience in the public administration field, ideally in the field of public budgeting or another field relevant to supporting financial management in the public sector.
- Demonstrated significant industry and/or experience in the field of public financial management
- Teaching experience at a two- or four-year degree granting institution in public budgeting and finance.
- Strong interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills.
- Commitment to Excelsior University's mission and CARES Credo.
- Doctoral degree or ABD.
- Experience teaching online in higher education.
- Student-focused teaching that addresses the needs of adult learners.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Experience with online/distance education preferred.
- Canvas or related LMS literacy preferred.
- Familiarity with Zoom preferred.
- Experience meeting nontraditional educational needs and preferences of adult learners.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-608-8270.
Excelsior University offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information by clicking the Apply Now button on this page.
Excelsior University is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to any legally protected characteristic.Apply Now View All Jobs