The Student Navigator is a customer service focused position within our Enrollment Management unit providing reliable, invaluable, and consistent service to all university constituents. The team is empowered to use independent judgement to respond to student needs.
The Student Navigator serves to support student inquiries by connecting them to their admissions counselor, helping them complete the application process and provide outreach to encourage students to stay on track in completing their education. Cross training is a critical element to ensure students have a seamless experience from inquiry through graduation, and beyond.
Our team utilizes a vast knowledgebase of questions and answers provided by other student success units such as accessibility services, admissions, advising, career readiness, ombudsperson, records and registration and financial services to respond to student inquiries quickly and effectively.
Our team provides guidance to deliver the pathway between the support services and our students through multiple communication methods (email, text, phone, Zoom, Teams, and others). The goal of the Student Navigator is to help students get started with their education, engage in their academic progress, and encourage persistence and retention through graduation. This is a full-time, hybrid role with a minimum of two days required per week at Excelsior's home office in Albany, NY, with the remainder of the days worked from home.
Duties and Responsibilities:Working with prospective students:
- Guide potential students to connect with an Admissions Counselor.
- Connect with students to encourage them to complete their admissions process.
- Handle high volume of inbound and outbound calls to ensure timely outreach to new inquiries and applicants.
- Determine inquiry viability by identifying key qualifying information before assigning to admissions counselor.
- Communicate and qualify nursing prospects to determine eligibility criteria prior to applying for admission.
- Support in the collection and verification of required documentation.
- Provide re-engagement outreach to withdrawn students to determine interest in re-enrolling and connect with an admissions counselor.
- Provide consistent support in triaging calls and emails appropriately, as well as corresponding with students via chat, email and text message.
- Process high volume of incoming student applications.
- Review and identify missing information based on program criteria.
- Review scanned images/troubleshoot technical issues.
- Input data accurately from scanned images.
- Determine eligibility based upon program criteria.
- Resolve application questions based on policy and procedures.
- Ensure completion of applications in preparation for evaluation of transfer credit.
- Collaborate daily with team to ensure task completion in a deadline oriented work environment.
- Effectively use multiple internal technology platforms to complete applications and ensure workflow is moving forward for task completion.
- Route eligibility decisions as required by approved policies.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks (work queues).
- Remain adaptable by adjusting to complexities in work assignments as they arise .
- Work collaboratively with other university departments to ensure student satisfaction and timely processing.
- Assist with developing, revising, and updating processes to enhance the student experience.
- Escalate student & technology issues as appropriate.
- Provide consistent outreach to keep the student connected with their Advisor and encourage registration, persistence, and retention in support of all units.
- Handle incoming calls on requesting transcripts, accessing, and updating records.
- Serve as point of contact for non-matriculated students by handling inbound calls and advising on application and registration processes.
- Provide outreach and deliver instruction on how to re-enroll under a new degree path and set appointment with an admissions counselor.
- Convey alumni resources and engagement activities.
- Associate degree from an accredited institution or a minimum of 2 years’ work experience in a customer service work environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal, relationship-building, and customer-service skills.
- Accountability for work; strong work ethic and ability to collaborate as a team.
- Ability to master and assimilate a large amount of information with accuracy and detail, to include the use of various technology platforms
- Strong written/spoken communication skills across diverse audiences; active listening skills; exceptional judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
- Maintains a solid understanding of university policies, procedures and processes.
- Act responsibly, have excellent attendance and punctuality and perform the duties assigned.
- The required office hours may include different shifts spanning 8:30 am to 8:00 pm, to include a required two days a week in the office.
Working with applicants:
Working with enrolled students:
Working with alumni:
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
The hiring salary range for this position is $38,500.00 - $40,000.00. The hiring salary range above represents the University's good faith estimate at the time of posting.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-608-8270.
Excelsior University offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information by clicking the Apply Now button on this page.
Excelsior University is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to any legally protected characteristic.Apply Now View All Jobs